• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns for the farm/ranch

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guns for the farm/ranch

I am looking to buy a gun (for farm purposes) to kill critters that might pose a threat to my livestock. I am not much of a hunter. What are your recommendations? I recently got my gun license.

Originally posted by RayTurner View Post
    I am looking to buy a gun (for farm purposes) to kill critters that might pose a threat to my livestock. I am not much of a hunter. What are your recommendations? I recently got my gun license.
    I was in your position. I lost $15,000 to a porcupine one year. Got my FAC, Picked up a used WWII Lee-Enfield .303 for $200. Bolt action, open sights. Dogs treed a porcupine a week later. Went for the rifle. Put a single shell in it. Move to about 12 feet away. Turned the porky inside out.

.303 may have been a mistake. Ammo is almost never on sale. On the other hand, I've only put about 20 shells through it, and the price on the gun was right.

Probably you will want a scope.

Comment

I use a 22 magnum, hollow bullets, with a 3x7 scope anything in a 100 yards is done. Squirilles to pigeons to coyotes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...