• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather/Harvest Results

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather/Harvest Results

Woke up to snow in Edmonton this morning (enough to get the ground white). Got me thinking about where we sit on harvest again. Looking for comments - knowing approximately where you live will help. I realize that this has been dealt with a lot elsewhere but needs to be monitored carefully so I ask the question again.

1) What is harvest progress? What crops are still out? How many days before you will get rolling again? How many more days left?

2) What are yields coming in at? Better than expected or worst? Expectations for unharvest crop?

3) What is the quality of crop in the bin? What do you expect on stuff that is yet to be harvested? Comments on green seed % in canola?

4) What crops are you seeing getting sold off the combine to pay bills? What crops are getting stored unpriced?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Charlie;

On quality,

Wheat is now 3CWRS or lower, frost has really taken its toll;

Canola, some number 1 is now being harvested, later second growth appears to really be downgrading what was there, needs 10 days of good weather to cure out Canola that is going to be harvested;

Barley second growth largely did not make normal seed...

Peas are mostly feed,

My flax barely made a number 1, imature seeds being the downgrading factor;

We are on average 65% done harvest;

100% Killam,
    75% Sherwood Park,
    55% Westlock

Yeilds have largely turned out as I expected earlier.

Westlock yields just below normal on wheat, barley and peas average, with some Canola well above average.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Our farm is half done in acres. Peas are off yielding low teens, and half done our wheat which yielded around 30 (CPS and HRS). Quality has been good on wheat but the peas are average. I think what is left out in the fields now will be of low quality due to frost on second growth. We've dried just about every load to date and that's not going to change. We've got 600 acres of canola to do, and I don't think we'll get any more #1, mostly 2 with some 3 and sample (yield 5 - 35).
      There is still lots of crop left out around NE Edmonton, crops that were seeded later and got some growth from the slight end of July rain. Looks rainy again today, I hope we get harvesting again Tuesday.

Comment

Thanks Tom4cwb and crusher for comments.

Just a request for good news. I look out my window and assume its like this everywhere (more rain when it is not needed). A year that fits the expression - If anything can go wrong, it will. The challenges continue.

Comment

It snowed in North Battleford on Saturday night - enough to make the ground white as well where I was in Paynton. Today, slow drizzle in Saskatoon. Gonna be interesting to see harvest progress in SK and MB crop reports tomorrow. Most farmers I spoke to over the weekend were looking for 7-10 days of curing for canola; green count anywhere from 5 to 25%.

You want good news Charlie:

The Yankees and Dbacks are out of the playoffs....lol

Comment

More rain in Edmonton. Don't know how far it extends.

I encourage everyone to stay on top of this. Given the short falls this year, having an understanding of impact of weather/other factors on markets is critical. You can't do anything about weather but you have to be thinking about how to maximize the opportunity/minimize the negative. Sticking your head in the sand/ignoring may be the short term least painfull but may not put you in the best situatioon down the road.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.