• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola varieties for 2000

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola varieties for 2000

What type of canola (particularly HT varieties) will be the best for the upcoming year? Are there any results out yet for Regions 3 and 4 on the new Invigors or SW Rider or A98-9NR?

Not all the most recent data is out yet but here's what I've seen thus far; The Invigor's (2153 & 2273) are still showing some great yield potential but they are definitely not short as many producers found out this year. 2153 is my preferred choice of Invigors as it is slightly shorter and earlier maturing. SW Rider is showing yields of 8% higher than the checks which is at the top end -- Seed unfortunately may be in short supply. A98-9NR is not yet registered (probably will be in February) has a '1' rating for blackleg (ie: resistant) and shows yields of 7% higher than the checks -- It will be slightly later (2-3 days)and taller (1-2')than the checks --

Comment

Will these canolas still perform the same in areas where there is a lot of hardpan, gumbo and salt affected soil?

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't know of any research showing varietal differences under these specific growing conditions. I suspect we may see them stack up in a similar manner. Depending on where you're situated, local applied research groups may give you some additional insight although growing them on your own farm may be the real test.

Comment

Here are the new yield figures which will soon be published in the Variety 2000 factsheet. Check Ropin' the Web for the posting in the next few weeks. Invigor 2153-117% in region 3; 113% in region 4. Invigor 2273-123%; 109%. Invigor 2463-123%; 115%. Invigor 2473-117%; 115%. SW RideR-117%; 105%. Quest-110%; 102%. A98-9NR was in coop tests this year and may be submitted for possible registration in February. From the coop tests in mid and short season zones, the yield compared to checks was 110% and 107%.

Comment

There is no real known research on soil type affect on specific varieties. I have heard comments from producers that Limagrain varieties tend to do well in gumbo soils. They have 2 RR varieties out LG 3345 and LG 3235. By company numbers the 3345 is rated a little higher for yield at 110% of chekcs.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...