• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bushel weights

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bushel weights

HRSW
    #1 60.825Lbs
    #2 58 Lbs
    #3 55.26Lbs

CPSR
    #1 61.67LBS
    #2 60.LBS

I have an old Grain handling book. Does any one know if these are still the correct bushel weights for these grades of wheat. What the heck is a #4HRSW?

Rain,

4CWRS is between 3 and Canada Feed wheat, with intrinsic milling value..

It would be interesting to know what the falling number minimum is for this grade.

When there isn't enough 2/3CWRS to blend out the 4, then they will ship a 4, otherwise it is always blended up.

Problem is I don't believe there is a contract call for #4.

Comment

Tom Do I have the bushel weights correct?

Comment

Rain;

There is Avery Bushel weights;

And then there is Imperial Bushel weights;

And then there are Winchester Bushel weights;

And then there are the CGC official grams per hectolitre, which is the official Canadian grade standard...

I hope I haven't totally confused you, but these are confusing terms...

What exactly are you going to do with the bushel measurements?

Comment

I want to know what the official bushel weights to get the CGC grades for the above grades of wheat.

Comment

Rain;

I assume you are quoting Avery bushel weights.

The Canada Grain Act does not use the term "bushel" any more, and official measurments done by an elevator are done with a .5L container, and weighed on a gram scale after proper weighing of the sample to determine the grain density.

I looked up on the CGC web site at:

http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/Pubs/GGG/2002/04-wheat-e-2002.pdf

This has the complete grain grading rules and handbook, for all CGC grains in Canada.

You are right to have determined that CPS Red density is higher at 375gm/.5L for #1CPSR and 10gm/.5L less for a #1CWRS and #2CPSR.

#4CWRS is not in the grading tables, and is a CWB marketing tool to seperate out higher quality feed wheat that has intrinsic milling value.

I hope this helps a little???

Comment

Thanks Tom. Do you know if the bushel price for US wheat used on the US futures market is in Avery or Winchester?

Comment

Rain, Maybe this will help.(from CGC)
                In general:

> There are: 36.367 litres in a bushel ( British)
                > 72.734 half litres in a bushel ( British)
                > 454 grams per pound
                >
                > 1 hectolitre = 100 litres
                > = 2.7497 bushels

Comment

I can't recall the differences between the three different 'bushels', but this is another area to be conscious of when shipping to the US. I think Winchester is used commonly in the US.

Maybe someone else could post the pounds/bu. for the different measurements?

Tom

Comment

Rain;

US Test Weights per Bushel

Test weight per bushel is the weight of the grain required to fill a lever Winchester bushel measure 2,150.42 cubic- inch (35.24-liter) capacity. The factor "test weight per bushel" is determined using an approved apparatus which has a kettle capacity of one dry quart (1.101 liter).

http://www.uswheat.org/USWDocuments.nsf/03f2f426f4a503e985256a95006d572c/c078dac06fc4b68085256bb4004c959d/$FILE/Overview.pdf

Winchester bushel weights converted to KG/HL then I converted it to grams/.5L (Appendix 5) page 61

60lb/bu is 394.5gm/.5L or 78.9KG/HL

US Hard Red Spring Wheat standards 810.2204 page M4

http://www.usda.gov/gipsa/reference-library/standards/810wheat.pdf

#1US 58lb/bu is 382 or 76.4KG/HL
                    #2US 57lb/bu is 375.5 or 75.1KG/HL
                    #3US 55lb/bu is 362.5 or 72.5KG/HL

Rain;

On the practical side when I exported to the US,60lb/bu Winchester was the normal requirement, with a falling number of 300 or better.

I never had a problem with bushel weights over the three crop years I shipped south to the US. I shipped CWRS, CPS and CWES spring wheats.

Normally a #1CWRS 13.5Px is considered equivelent to #1US DNS(75% DHV or better) 14Px 300 or better falling number.

Does this help?

Comment

Rain:
                      #4 CWRS grade spex:

No. 4 Canada Western Red Spring may be marketed on the basis of the specifications for 3 CWRS, unless otherwise stated below:

Test Weight minimum: 68 kg/hl
                      Severely Sprouted Kernels: 0.5%
                      Total Sprouted Kernels:5.0%
                      Degree of Soundness: (may be severely frost-damaged, immature or weather-damaged, moderately free from severely damaged kernels)

This Order shall expire July 31, 2003, unless previously revoked by the Commission.

hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.