• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

How often do you check your points when you're chisel plowing or cultivating? Yesterday I was chisel plowing a farm we bought this summer that has been in hay for over 30 years, I knew it was pulling hard but I was kind of surprised the last time I lifted the chisel plow up and the back row of points were glowing red hot to the point where I could see the shanks through the points. I've never seen that before.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! it must have been dry and hard. I have worn a set of points off a cultivator trying to go in to clover stubble that was too dry. I have a new theory now be lazy and wait till it rains. It is cheaper as well or maybe I am just lazy.

Comment

Most of my chisel plowing is done in November, when there's usually excessive moisture. Then I just check the old gal over a few times a day while I'm using it. I recall wearing through one set of plow points on a moldboard plow in an afternoon once...I decided that was too dry and quit. I've never heard of them glowing red though.
      Quite a light show outside here in Michigan right now. Welcome rain, but I think I'm losing thirty acres of kidney beans that are already pulled.

Comment

They've been promising rain here for about 36 hours now and no sign of anything. Still have 3 days of rain in the forecast if it shows though so maybe it'll come.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...