• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

corn silage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

corn silage

2000 corn silage was frosted. 2001 corn silage was drought stressed and @ 60% moisture before kernel reached 1/3-1/2 milk line- poor fermentation in the bunkers. 2002 cornsilage presently green and 70% moisture- dropping .5 moisture points/ day.Kernels are still soft though denting. At this rate, the plant moisture ( including grain) will be 65% on Sept. 15-17. Should I chop if the kernels aren't ready or do I let it go below 65% moisture and wait for proper kernel maturity. BTW- no processor on harvester. TIA

Corn is in the ideal stage for fermentation when moisture is 60-70%. Penn state predicted moisture levels will dropped 0.65 percent units per day in average conditions, however, the recent rainfall may affect this. I recommend pulling the trigger at 60% moisture, unless the milk line approaches 1/3 sooner than this.

However, if fermentation losses were high last year (60% moisture), this is a concern. Finer chop will improve fermentation of corn silage when ensiled dry. Consider providing effective fiber from other sources, such as dry hay, if you feel the eNDF is compromised.

DS

Comment

Thanks for sharing the information...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.