• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyoto Questions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kyoto Questions

What are the green house gasses beside CO2?

How do you come by the measurment in megatonnes?

Does it effect the ozone?

Where to you take a reliable temp. reading do discover whether the temp. is going up or down on the average.

How may years would you have to keep temp readings from this realiable source to make a prediction?

Would airplanes cause a great globle warming problem? How many airliners are in the air at any given time?

Should we shut down tourism to protect against the green house effect?

This group of scientist or environmentalist that are predicting this doom and gloom of globle warming are they the same ones who were predicting a return to the iceage back in the 1970's?

Could all of this just be a conspircy to transfer wealth to the third world countries or more wealth for the wealthy?

Does the climate seem normal to you, cold, wet, hot and dry?

Do you believe that we should do something about terrorist who stampede people way from common sense solutions?

What are our solutions?

Ask Chretien. He has all of the answers. Just be willing to shell out more money for anything relating to energy. This means EVERYTHING that you buy...food, clothing, transportation, shelter, etc., etc. Chretien is going to do great damage to our economy when he signs the Kyoto Accord. The whole scheme is based on faulty science and this Federal Gov't of ours is too ignorant to realize it.

Comment

kernal: I can't answer all your questions, but I will note that when Mount Pinutubo blew it put more green house gasses into the atmosphere than the total accumulation of humans since the start of man!
      Now I'm not against reducing polluting gasses. Just go stand in downtown Calgary for a couple of hours during the work day...my eyes water, I get stuffed up, I get a headache. I don't know how people can breath that crap day after day!
      And the oil industry can be a pretty dirty business. I understand their need to test flare wells but not for four or five days. Injecting water into the formation to force up the gas is another really bad practice that could be replaced. Have you ever been around a sour gas plant? It isn't pretty as it affects(kills) a lot of the vegetation. The scrubbers in the stacks leave the air close to 99.9% sulphur free but still there is a lot of sulphur dioxide going out the stack. Believe it or not this polluted air could be compressed and injected back into the formation to take the place of water. Just takes a bit more money!
      When you see a 747 take off you realize how much pollution it is spewing out! No way can those big planes be all that environmentally freindly? But tourism and transportation are huge business and you can bet your bottom dollar they won't be changing much!
      Kyota could be a good thing, IF it really was about cleaning up some of the abuses but it isn't. It is about taxing the little guy out of a few more bucks! Nothing much will change. You still need trucks to haul stuff, tractors to work the land, taxis, busses and cars. Things will go on as before but now instead of gas being 73 cents it will be $1.03! Instead of your power bill being $100 it will be $130! Instead of a heating bill of $80 it will be $104! Of course everything else you buy will also go up about 30%(or maybe even more!).
      So what will change? Well now the American and South American industrys will have a 30% advantage over Canadian ones, so we won't be buying Canadian! That includes food!
      You might wonder how any government could be so stupid! But governments are like corporations these days...no long term outlook, just the bottom line for the next six months! And instead of doing the right thing, they concentrate on putting a good spin on all their crooked little deals!
      And lets face it Kyoto is good for some people! It gives a bunch of useless over educated bums jobs! At $100,000 a year! If you were a doctor or lawyer or government mandarin or the like, what do you care if it costs you another $10 to fill up the BMW? You can always raise your fee, right? And if the peasants make grumbling sounds you get the CBC to do a show on how ungrateful they are and get them whipped back into line! Have a whole bunch of "experts" with a lot of titles and letters behind their names get up and spout a bunch of nonsense! Keep it up until the little guys are ashamed of ever questioning the elite!
      I guess I'm just a cynic when it comes to our governments?

Comment

Greenhouse gases are not the real issue!When we drive into the city we are really seeing pollution. The poorly tuned diesel trucks and all the results of bruning natural gas. Since our air is 88% nitregon then the combustion process burns and nitrous oxides are given off. In petro chemical valley east of Red Deer the haze has become very evident since they added 4 plants in 2ooo.
        The increased cost of hydrocarbon as a result of Kyoto will casue plants to close and jobs transferred. These industries are quite prepared to moth ball and/or move machinery elswhere. Our PM won't have a legacy but an impoverished country. I will live here only because my family are here!!!

Comment

Cowman you said it the way I would have liked to have said it.

Comment

Before we get too carried away blasting the feds for raising prices and causing people to loose jobs, we need look no further than here in Alberta and what has happened here.

From March to May of this year, I saw a $100 increase in my power bill, not because I was spending more time on the internet, or doing more value-added business on my farm, but because I have to shell out money to the power companies because they were held to a certain level for a year or so. Now I'm told that I get a 7% increase in my natural gas bill if I live south of Red Deer because ATCO, which supplies 75% of the province's gas, was also kept to a ceiling - which somehow translated into protecting me for the year or two that prices went really out of whack.

What other industries are allowed to come back to you and say that for the next year, or two years in the case of the electricity providers, we are going to make up what we couldn't take from you before. All these were okayed by this government.

We are getting to pay for the fiasco in the electricity deregulation and I am also seeing a charge on my bill because I haven't yet chosen an electricity provider, even though I have some 16 months to decide who is going to get to gouge me. In rural areas, we aren't going to have much of a choice in terms of who provides us with electricity, so who know what is going to happen to us.

If we are that heavily dependent on one industry that making some changes is going to devastate us, then maybe we better look at taking a few eggs out of the basket. We don't know how many jobs are going to be lost and there could be other reasons for the slowdown in the oil patch right now. In talking to people over the past few months - the activity has been steady, but it hasn't been really strong. We are told that there arre some projects that are presumably being put on hold, but is it due to economic events out there or can there be a direct causal link to the PM's stated ratification of Kyoto.

There are some good things in it, so we can't completely overlook that. When Ralph was putting the fiscal house in order, did he care that jobs were being lost in a whole lot of sectors while he tidied things up? How much care and concern is there for the machinery dealers, small businesses and jobs that are going to be lost because of the effects of this drought? Is he standing up and saying that not one job will be lost in the ag industry?

Fair is fair, after all.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.