• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something Good That Happened this Summer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something Good That Happened this Summer

I put this originally in the commodity marketing area but likely had a better fit here. I realize for some this might be a tough question given the problems we are facing as an industry.

Something a little different but a challenge to everyone.

This is about as tough a year as I have seen for anyone in the ag. industry and its not over yet. It is pretty easy to get down in this environment. Even in the toughest of times, there are good things that happen that keep us going.

My things have been a canoe trip in Manitoba Aug. 2 to 5. I was in the Edmonton dragon boat race festival (20 person canoe if you like) this weekend and we won a metal for first in our level. Each involved friendship and working as a team.

Just a challenge to get people to tell others about something that happened that was special in their live this summer. Could be a marriage in the family, birth of a child, an excellent vacation, a son or daugher's accomplishment in sport, etc. Could be something in your business.

You may think this crazy, but a wind storm and loss of a 70'
    x100' cover-all shed may be one of my luckier days this year.
    The shed was built last fall and I found out they were down
    grading the piles from their first quote, but wording on the
    signed quote meant I had no come-back. Anyway an end pile broke
    off and down the building came to a pile of garbage. As we
    still had work inside, only a few pieces of equipment were inside.
    The air seeder tank was turned on its side with very little
    damage. A rafter missed a tractor be only 6" and damage was
    only a few dollars. Two older trucks were damaged, but both are
    repairable.

Now I can get the money out of insurance and replace the building.
    This time all the "i" will be dotted. I also give insurance all
    my documents and they may go after cover-all.

Hope this works as it is my first post to this system in over
    a year.

Gerald

Comment

Earlier this year my wife and I purchased our first commercial ewes. Many of you would say big deal, sheep will never make you any money and the coyotes will sure be happy now!". blah blah blah. For a small investment, and so far no income, we now have 15 ewes or ewe lambs and have also found a pretty decent Dorset ram (aka MR Clean). Sheep can easliy survive on grain screenings and even some fusarium. It doesn't need to be ground, and this means less fuel for the tractor. They have done a wonderful job cleaning up around the buildings and thus will reduce some fire hazards. The ewes that we first got were all lambed out by my wife and daughter. No one got knock down, and the value recieved watching the little lambs play (with my family) makes things seem all worthwhile. Most of all in the whole learning process we have met many other great young couples like ourselves, learning to make the most of what we (and they) have.
      I think the one thing that we have learned is that sometimes we have to stop and smell the roses. Good friends (new and old) and time with the family is what farming should be all about. I see too many people getting wrapped up in the concept of bigger is better and pretty soon they find that there isn't anytime left to
      enjoy what we can.

Comment

Bshaw - welcome to the world of sheep! You will find more than just a couple of folks that are in agri-ville raise sheep and I'm one of them. Please feel free to go and use the fur and sheep discussion room to get questions answered or to share your experiences. It's been a little quiet of late, but it picks up pretty well during the winter months.

One good thing that may come out of all of this drought is that producers have begun to talk with one another and we may find ways to even out all the highs and lows in the industry and start providing each other - buyers and sellers - with the means to sustain in the long term.

It may also help to bring about better discussions between producers and processors (okay I like to dream big) so that there is less mistrust amongst the links of the chain.

Another good thing is that it may help urban folks to realize just how dependent they are on those rural farming dollars, goods and services for their own existence. Auto dealers, machinery dealers, fertilizer, trucking, retailers of all sorts will feel the effects of less money coming in, especially in smaller communities.

There may just be a silver lining in them clouds.

Comment

I agree with cakadu that the most important aspect of this whole year is the fact that by sharing experiences with others we know that we are not alone; that others are having it tough as well.
          Additionally, we are finally getting some sustained media coverage regarding the drought and agriculture in general which may facilitate some changes in the attitude of the general public (and possibly government).

Comment

I agree people talking about their problems amongst their peers is got to be a good thing!!!!!! I am waiting for it to dry off to start combining peas might just happen to get stuck once or twice after all the rain, cant tell where it is wet. I hope everybody keeps chatting even if I don't reply very often always look forward to hearing everybody else's point of view.

Comment

Hear Hear about talking to peers with similar experiences and interests. It seems that everytime we come home from a hog producers meeting, and from a sheep show or whatever there just seems to be a little more "bounce" in our step. At least for a few days anyway. Whether its from getting away for a few hours or from learning something new, its nice to know that some new ideas just might make the difference for SOMEONE out there. With farms getting larger, and the rural population getting smaller, maybe its just the idea knowing that there are others like ourselves that are trying.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.