• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

metcalfe barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

metcalfe barley

If anyone has grown Metcalfe this past season I would like to hear your experience with it - pros and cons .

I grew AC Metcalf along side and in the same field as Harrington this year. The heights were identical, the awns had a mint green hue in the Metcalfe compared to a gray blue for the Harrington. Maturity was similar maybe very silghtly later for the Metcalfe. Yields were not carefully segregated but appeared similar, in this case in the 80bu/acre range. We had moisture stress Protein was 13.5% Metcalfe 13.0% Harrington Weights were in the 50 to 51#/bu. I farm in the dry brown soil zone 60km north of the US border. If you have any other questions I would be glad to try and answer them.

Comment

Did you straight combine your barley ( pgluca ) ? If so , did the heads and/or seed stay on well or break off after a length of time ? Did your sample get accepted as malt ?

Comment

I just thought I would answer about straightcutting. I always st.cut my malt varieties (stein,harrington,metcalfe)and have always received malt.It is always seeded on oilseed stubble with yields from 60-75 range.I certainly recommend st.cutting. I'll also add that my neighbors with Harrington had less than good experiances as this year was just too wet for this old variety as the newer ones certainly have much better disease resistance.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.