• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ergot and cultivating land

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ergot and cultivating land

The following message was posted in the Commodity Marketing room. Can anyone here provide an answer? We have Ergot in AC Taber wheat--this was the only grain that was affected. I am wandering what I have to do to the affected land next year? We min till and I am planning to grow canola on this land. Do I need to disc or cultivate before I plant the canola? What happens the year after canola?

Don't worry about deep cultivating or discing the ergot infested stubble before planting canola. Canola is NOT susceptible to ergot -- only grasses are. Are you planting a cereal in an adjacent field? If yes, then consider deep tilling/discing to bury the ergot bodies more than 2 inches. And keep the fenceline and ditch grasses mowed/hayed shortly after heading if possible to keep the ergot down in those areas.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...