• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Brian 99 - Where would we have been if BSE had not hit?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Brian 99 - Where would we have been if BSE had not hit?

Brian 99 - I reposted this as I think it is an interesting question. A couple of thoughts from our
    personal operation.

We would likely be smaller than we are today and/or where we are headed.
    We would likely be more traditional.
    We would likely have a much higher cost structure.
    We would likely be closer in action to "doing what we always did."
    I suspect that there would have been some contraction in the industry with the runup in the dollar
    and the aging of the cow/calf guy. I think I would have more small operations and hobby operations
    to compete with and I suspect that the consolidation further up the chain would have continued, and
    we would today be at or close to the place that BSE accelerated us to more quickly. There may have
    been slightly less grass turned into cropland, but I think the trend would still have been there,
    since it is still tough to generate the kind of cash flow that cropping can provide.
    I think our industry (which is not very nimble) would be even less so without BSE.
    There are always 2 ways to look at any event, and I am not convinced all of the fallout from BSE was
    bad, even though some of it was handled poorly.
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...