• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmer feed challenge

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmer feed challenge

I have become sickened by some of the prices people are asking for feed this year,kind of like kicking somebody when they are already down.
    I have recently been in contact with cattle producers that I know in the drought areas and have offered them all my straw for just the cost of baling it and I want to challenge all producers in good cropping areas this year to do the same.
    I also want to challenge machinery dealers and custom balers to bale up some of this free straw for no or very minimal charge.The trucking companies could also help out by donate or have minimal charges on a few loads.
    Please put yourselves in the people's shoes that are in the drought and just for a minute imagine what they are going through,and the long term effects of the drought.If everyone pitched in and helped out we may be able to help alot of these families.By saving these farms we are also saving western Canada.Also remember that some day it may be us that are in need of help.

Thank you for what you are trying to do, countryguy and I hope that others will rise up to your challenge.

I've been quite concerned watching what people are charging as well and while I can't bring myself to find them totally at fault - who can blame someone for wanting to make a buck - I too feel it is like rubbing salt in a wound that is going to take a long time to heal.

There are those that are waiting for $10/square bale for "horse hay" but the reality is that if you have any number of horses to feed, you won't be paying those prices either. They may eventually have to come back to reality and offer it at more reasonable prices. When you see this happen, is it any wonder that there are folks driven to despair?

At at time like this, we need a helping hand. What goes around comes around!

Comment

The response from our fellow farmers across this country has been truly remarkable and appreciated. You just can't knock that.
      My neighbor is a hay farmer and hay broker. Has 1700 acres in hay. He has contracted out most of it at $8/bale. He says he could get more but is trying to take care of his regulars. His yields are down 1/2 to 2/3 so he is not getting rich but just spinning his wheels. He says it is not a good situation for him as a lot of people are unloading their horses. Next year if he gets a good crop he won't have a lot of his old regular customers.
      Is it really a good thing to save the western cow herd? So we can continue to overproduce? Or better to clean them out and get numbers down to where they should be? I'm doing my part...I'm selling the whole lot. Now that isn't anything noble. I made that decision before this year. I had intended to sell this fall and into the winter but can't see throwing good money after bad.
      I was going to keep some of the hayland for a few more years but decided I would rip it all up and go for grain. My cousin was willing to take it on so we'll go from there. A nice little rent check, no machinery and fuel expense,no more fencing, no more fighting my hay allergy, no more -35 cow checking at 2 AM!
      I suspect this drought has made a lot of people realize that this whole agriculture thing is a really poor business. In the "good years" you struggle to make ends meet and when a wreck comes along you lose equity big time. Consider the man with 200 cows...today he is worth $140,000 less than last year! There is no stability, profits are very poor, and it's risky. Is it any wonder that young farmers are as scarce as hens teeth?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.