• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All this talk of suicides

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this talk of suicides

What a nasty topic eh!
    Each day we here talk of a suicide somewhere in the agriculture community. Are these real or just us farmers repeating more gossip that may not be true. If it is true how many more are happening that are not reported or look like accidents.
    I hear people say how could they do it and it can't be that bad. Well it must be that bad or they wouldn't go through with it.
    Farming is more than a business it is a life style, one in which we get emotionally attached to property. The gov't won't listen and I really wonder if a person contiplating suicide would up and phone a help line and get the help that is needed.

Maybe alot of the pressure these days is burn out, we here about it all the time in the big executive offices and with other professions. These folks can take medical leaves and the work will still get done, in farming if you don't have the money for help your crap out of luck.
    I often feel burn out myself and overwhelmed by creditors. If your thinking suicide just wake up in the morning look at your family, stop and visit friends, go for a coffee at the coffee shop. Look back at all your past success. Remember much of what is happening now is beyond our control.
    Then put the farm up for sale, go fishing and think about all the things you really want to do. If there's no buyers let the banker have it and move on. There's more to live than the farm, trust me I've been there.

They say all these suicide stories are a prairie myth. I don't know if that is true or not. I heard them from a sales rep for VJV and I guess I just assumed he knew what he was talking about.
    I guess why people would believe this, is because it is so believable! At times I have considered selling my farm and it damned near gave me a panic attack! From a common sense point of view it makes no sense to sit on an asset that is worth so much, yet returns so little. Unfortunately I love this place more than life! Wherever I go or whatever I'm doing my heart never leaves. I played down by the creek as a child, just like my father did and my grandfather did. And like my own kids did. I found a cap gun there, when I was a boy, that my grandfather said he lost when he was eight years old. My father told me that when he was lying in a field hospital in Germany all shot up, his only thought was getting home to the farm before he died. I love this old piece of dirt more than anything in the world.
    I told my son that when the time comes, sell it, don't be stupid. But don't sell it until I'm dead and spread my ashes down by the creek.
    So this bond we have with the land is irrational and you just can't explain it to people. It probably is not a good thing.

Comment

Interesting topic Muttley..... people sure do the feel the pressure from the stress that comes along with this farming life! We tend to be too hard on ourselves most of the time, thinking if we just keep on going and try harder or work a bit harder, it will be alright soon. I tend to be that way a lot myself, and most of the time I try to be optimistic as I'm working through another day. You have your ups and downs as most people, in most occupations do, so.... as you said..... you can wake up in the morning and see your family, drop in and visit your friends(which I'm sure your friends are just as glad to see you pop in for a visit too), or go to the coffee shop in town. I really do enjoy farming, especially the livestock part of it, you know.... the horses and cattle, they are what I love the most. Hopefully there are no farmers, cattlemen, etc. who are feeling this crunch and really feel they want to submit to something like suicide, like you said Muttley...there is more to life than farming, and I certainly agree with you.... .If there is something that you want to do and feel that you just need to do it, maybe something that you have always wanted to but just didn't have the time or energy to do it, or felt guilty about leaving one work day out of the 365, leaving you 364 remaining work days for that year, maybe that fishing trip you have put off for ten years, well.... do it now. If you don't, you might regret it! Good Luck to You and all farmers and cattlemen out there and try to be as optimistic as you can.

Comment

Greetings all,

I grew up on a farm, my brother's winding down the family farm near Regina because his son isn't interested and I was clergyman in several rural parishes.

I've asked a number of city people what they'd do if, with half a million, perhas a million or so on deposit in the bank where they worked, they were called into the manager's office at the end of the year.

With a long face, perhaps a tear in his eye, the manager said that the bank could pay you interest on your money, or your wages, but not both.

They'd do as well as they could by you - you could have a choice which it would be.

"What would you do in such a situation?" I've asked.

Many have answered, usually with some vehemence, "I'd move my %&*^#@ money down the street!"

I've said, "Exactly! And many famers, being in much that position, are saying, 'The heck with it!' and selling out - to retire, go work for someone else. Or set up their own business, that wouldn't have to pay much, when added to their invested assets, to enable them to live well".

When asked how they'd like to work for a dollar an hour, they get quite upset.

But - if many farmers take out a reasonable rate of return on their asset, they may well work for less.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...