• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving Saskatchewan

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving Saskatchewan

Clay Serby thinks he has the answer to saving the peasants out in rural Saskatchewan! How? Why simple...double the number of pig farms! All those old Saskatchewan farmers are going to be feeding pigs and the money will float down to Regina and save the whole province. I don't know where he thinks these pigs are going to be killed or sold but I guess he'll worry about that when the time comes! Now if those damned stubborn grain farmers would just co-operate...

Cowman: Pathetic isn't it. Fortunately we are getting more Albertans setting up shop here to replace some of our aging population. Land costs are appealing. Still not close to replacing the youth we have lost to your province for the last 50 years. Lots of resources and untapped potential in Sask. We just need to have a government to provide the environment for business instead of trying to be in business.

Comment

You know Bruce if I was twenty years younger...! You are right about the lost potential of Sask. farm boys! A whole lot of them are in the oil patch and I've never met one who wasn't a comer!
      I hadn't been to Sask. for about twenty years but was very much impressed by the land, crops and people.
      I am still mystified by why Saskatchewan is a "have not province"? From what I've seen it just might be one of the best places on this earth!

Comment

People go where the opportunity's are. There is jobs and land in Sk. but not enough to keep many here.
        The land of plenty is in Alberta. I've lived in Sk. all my life and it is my feeling that the biggest problem is our left wing gov'ts and such a high population that does not pay tax.

Comment

Saskatchewan's problems started when Tommy Douglas scared the oil people out of Sask. and they started up big time in Alberta. Then things were just starting to get back on course and Allan Blakeney took over the potash companies. The economy has never recovered because big business won't trust the governments in power enough to invest heavily in the province. That is what this province is lacking is the access to money to develop properly.

Comment

Hi cowman,

In your first post on this thread:

were you suggesting that the Saskatchewan famers weren't pig-headed enough?

As a person who sent about 7 years, 10% or so of the total, but the formative late teen ones, in Saskatchewan - I take grave umbrage at such a proposition.

Comment

It sort of bugs me when these politicians come up with solutions that are sort of half cooked. So the farmers/communities hop on the bandwagon and get left holding the bag. A very typical example of this is when my local municipality took over a federal air base. Instead of checking it out they just took it over. Saw all that extra tax revenue right? Well when the dust settled it seems the water/sewer system is a wreck and all the taxes forever will not pay for the upgrades! The feds won't take it back and they won't pay. So the rest of the county is on the hook for this!
              Serby has the idea that all those little piggies will look pretty good for the bottom line but never says where they will be killed. I guess he figures if we build it they will come ala Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...