• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special crop fires

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special crop fires

In our area I have heard of a lot of combine fires in pulse crops that have been desicated. Alot of these crops were left standing a long time so the green kernels would turn. Is this normal with desicated crops on normal years or something we can only expect to hear about once in a lifetime, like this year ?

I would guess that this was proabably a special case of some sort. In my area we have a rash of combine fires whenever conditions are really dry or whenever the crop is particularly dusty (especially fine particles that get inside engine compartments). Last year was a good example in NE Alberta, combine and baler fires galore but not particular crop appearing to be more likely to cause a fire. Special crops have never stood out as being more problematic than other crops in my area. This year was very quiet in terms of such problems.

Comment

This year we had more fires than in other. We had little trouble last year and it was drier. Our crops were not desicated. We started having fires while doing peas, but not too bad. The worst was when we went to the lentils. Fires daily. Not necessarily around the engine or other places that you would think as hot spots. We had fires on the sides where there was only a small shelf for dust to gather. On top of the rotor housing. Under the cab where there is no moving parts. We were told that the problem was static electricity and to fasten a ground chain. After this we had the worst fire. On the Case/IH behind the chopper. There are pockets for dust, chaff and straw to gather. You don't even see it, you have to climb in and feel. With the amount of water that was used the combining was done for the day as the combine had to dry out. I have talked to others and sunflowers are even worse. Keep combine clean. Blow or wash off daily or twice a day as we had to do. Use your senses. Smell, Sight, Sound and have your trucker do the same.

Comment

This year we had more fires than in other. We had little trouble last year and it was drier. Our crops were not desicated. We started having fires while doing peas, but not too bad. The worst was when we went to the lentils. Fires daily. Not necessarily around the engine or other places that you would think as hot spots. We had fires on the sides where there was only a small shelf for dust to gather. On top of the rotor housing. Under the cab where there is no moving parts. We were told that the problem was static electricity and to fasten a ground chain. After this we had the worst fire. On the Case/IH behind the chopper. There are pockets for dust, chaff and straw to gather. You don't even see it, you have to climb in and feel. With the amount of water that was used the combining was done for the day as the combine had to dry out. I have talked to others and sunflowers are even worse. Keep combine clean. Blow or wash off daily or twice a day as we had to do. Use your senses. Smell, Sight, Sound and have your trucker do the same.

Comment

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...