• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got hay? You might have a gold mine!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got hay? You might have a gold mine!

Was talking to a farmer who had baled up some pretty good looking hay(alphalfa/orchard grass). Small squares, tarped and on plastic. Asked him what he thought it was worth? Said he thought he would ask $7/bale! 60 lb. bales works out to $233/ton! Said the yield was poor, only 1.3 tons so he'll only get $302/acre. Said he was hoping for a decent second cut which might make it fairly profitable! Has a fairly stable bunch of horse customers where money is not a problem! I have heard rumors of round John Deere bales selling in the $120 range. Now if that bale weighs 1100 lbs. then it is $218/ton. A modern beef cow needs about 35 lbs./day. Say for 240 days(not unreasonable this year)or 4.2 tons= $915.60! Now I suspect there isn't a cow in Alberta who will raise a calf that will do that? Sell those losers and get in on the great hay bonanza of 2002!
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...
X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
You agree to our and by clicking I agree.