• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got hay? You might have a gold mine!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got hay? You might have a gold mine!

Was talking to a farmer who had baled up some pretty good looking hay(alphalfa/orchard grass). Small squares, tarped and on plastic. Asked him what he thought it was worth? Said he thought he would ask $7/bale! 60 lb. bales works out to $233/ton! Said the yield was poor, only 1.3 tons so he'll only get $302/acre. Said he was hoping for a decent second cut which might make it fairly profitable! Has a fairly stable bunch of horse customers where money is not a problem! I have heard rumors of round John Deere bales selling in the $120 range. Now if that bale weighs 1100 lbs. then it is $218/ton. A modern beef cow needs about 35 lbs./day. Say for 240 days(not unreasonable this year)or 4.2 tons= $915.60! Now I suspect there isn't a cow in Alberta who will raise a calf that will do that? Sell those losers and get in on the great hay bonanza of 2002!
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...