• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimism

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimism

I wonder how many of you have heard of organizations like our MidLakes Community Coalition? (Maybe you caught a little news item about us on CKCK Wed. or Thurs. local news?) The coalition began about six years ago when some folks realized we must do better than just complaining about rural depopulation, and we must not be jealous or resentful of one another, but work together to preserve the good way of life we have here. They began a group which now works to enhance and sustain rural life all along No. 11 hwy between Regina and Saskatoon. We have many small communities, a number of good parks, historic sites, some small industries, many services and great projects like dinner theatres and ecumenical events. We want to trumpet to the world our finest aspects, and attract a few tourists, but also retain and preserve the wonderful, safe, peaceful and beautiful place we inhabit. We have stretched our vision and now see all our little towns and villages as part of one large-area community--an abundant and friendly home town--out here between the cities. What we have is definitely worth keeping! Anyone else working on such projects?

What a wonderful picture of the future for your area! In my Masters project for an M.Ag.(Rural Sociology) in the 1980s, I focussed on using 'Holistic Management' as a management model for community development. In my literature review I looked for rural areas that had been rejuvenated, and found they were few, in spite of all the government community development programs. What I also found was that the places that were successful in turning themselves around, invariable did the work themselves, and the movements were usually started by a small group of individuals with a vision of the future. Sounds as though you are part of such a group!

Comment

Yes, noelm, what you say is true: the movement needs to be started locally by folks with a vision, and it takes a lot of patience before others will trust and come along to help. And we've found the government programs seem to vanish into thin air when you get there with your actual request. Tourism dept. is especially bad--no money, no help, not even permission to put up signs or develop things ourselves. How they expect tourism in this province to become the #1 industry is a mystery to me. But we have done some good work here, and are feeling pretty good about possibilities in the future. We're doing what we can, and what we can do is valuable, if small. Louise

Comment

I know there are some other groups in Alberta working on initiatives similar to yours. I'm going to draw their attention to your message and ask them to respond. Joyce Sasse, the other moderator for this room, has also been involved in projects like this. She's away for a week or two but should be able to share some of her experiences.

Comment

I know there are some other groups in Alberta working on initiatives similar to yours. I'm going to draw their attention to your message and ask them to respond. Joyce Sasse, the other moderator for this room, has also been involved in projects like this. She's away for a week or two but should be able to share some of her experiences.

Comment

I was not aware of such organizations existed. Do you know of any in Manitoba. Is there info I can get on this organization on who is helping with it etc.

Comment

I have information on two similar groups in Alberta. One is in the Bashaw community. THey are working on some exciting initiatves re working together and being positive about living in rural Alberta. Neighbourhood Place and Rural Alberta Showcase are 2 of their initiatives. A number to contact is (403) 372-3648. There is also a group in the Rimbey area called the Blindman River Regional Development Agency Phone 403 843-2885 WEB site www.rimbey.com/brrdac. This group has a business plan, working committees and an office in the Rimbey provincial building. Their focus is economic development.

Comment

Hello, Louise,

Interested in your message on Agri-ville in Fall '99 re attempts to develop community enhancement, with inter-community links/co-operation in various areas of the west.

I live in London, southwestern Ontario and spent 6 weeks travelling, most of it in your area, early last summer. Visited a family in Somerset, Man (formerly host to retired missionary, now deceased) and some retired clergy in Man., Sask. & Alta., as most who were colleagues in St. Andrew's College, United Church seminary in Saskatoon, about 1950 are now retired. Hoping to visit several in B.C. this summer.

Also visited half a dozen now retired former missionaries to Korea, including Rev. Joyce Sasse: she and I not there at same time, first meeting last summer. She gave me Agri-ville address in a recent e-mail message.

My brother recently minted senior, now winding down farm north-west of Regina as son not interested. Sister-in-law, nephew and niece (who grad in early 30s as nurse last summer, said she needed help to celebrate, so we went, including her sister from Georgia and my daughter who flew in from Arizona, after successfully bidding $325. for her air ticket) live in Edmonton.

I stayed in a really nice B & B in Saskatoon - The Inn, on 8th or 9th Ave. N., right near City Hosp.

Do you have connectors (preferably via e-mail) to agencies in your area dealing with enhancing development in various Western communities? Along the lines of attracting tourists, retired people as residents, etc. I remember a village? town? in Man. advert. in Tor. a few years ago offering free lots if people wanted to build, succeeded in finding some new residents, I heard.

Do you have suggestions as to how someone in this area might be able to help promote your services, sites, activities, events, etc.?

I'm trying to collect listings of B & Bs in various areas, or connectors to associations in various areas. The idea being that someone starts looking for B & Bs in areas that they want to visit, and can go from link to link to the places they're interested in.

Ed Baker 427 Griffith St. London On. N6K 2S3 eddbaker@yahoo.com

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.