• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dandelions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dandelions

In central Alberta the dandelions are fierce this year! Hay fields look like a sea of yellow or white, depending on the stage they are in! If you have hay or pasture that has little or no legumes in it there is one product that stands out...GrazeOn! It will not only get this years crop of dandelions, thistle, pasture sage and absinthe but next years too! It isn't cheap($21/acre) but it sure gets the job done! And it won't hurt the grass.
    I'm not sure if you can get it anywhere but Alberta, as it only became registered for use last year. I've used this product for many years on a commercial basis(Tordon 101) and have nothing but good to say about it. Makes Lontrel look like a weak sister when it comes to Canada thistle! You have to jump through a few hurtles to get it but it is well worth the effort! Hey it even works to some degree on snowberry(buck brush)!

I am super interested Cowman. I was wondering what the time is that you have to keep the cows off of the pasture after spraying. I have lots of trouble with that dwarf sage and buckbrush on some of my native grass. You are sure a wealth of information. Sorry to bug ya.

Comment

With Grazeon There is no restriction on grazing. Just that they have to be off 3 days before slaughter. Dow-Elanco is the company that sells this product.

Comment

Carebear: If you have a big problem with Snowberry(buck brush) another product you might want to look into is plain old 24D amine with an adherent. Alta. Ag did a field test on some buckbrush in my local county. They used Remedy(brush spray) Tordon 22K, GrazeOn and 24D Amine with Super Sticker adherent. The Remedy and 22K didn't do anything. GrazeOn got most of it and the old 24D pretty well wiped it out! They put costs on all these treatments. Remedy-$110/acre Tordon 22K-$48/acre GrazeOn $28/acre(price has come down since) and 24D amine with Super Sticker $9.28!!!
        You have to use the adherent as snowberry has a very waxy leaf that doesn't allow the chemical to enter the plant.24D is very good at entering the plant but it needs to be able to stick to the leaves. Most of the more "modern" sprays have some 24D in them for the simple reason it can enter the leaf and thus carry the other chemical in with it.
        One thing you should realize with GrazeOn is it leaves a residue(picloram) in the soil. So you don't want to be planting peas or canola the year after you break up the land. Also both GrazeOn and Tordon 22K are only registered for pasture land. Grazeon is a mixture of 24D and picloram while Tordon 22K is straight picloram. Tordon 22K is about the only product around that will get the real toughies like toadflax, field scabeous and leafy spurge. It has a five year residue while GrazeOn is only supposed to last a year. Its kind of cool to watch little thistles sprout from seed and grow vigourously until their roots hit that layer of picloram, then they turn yellow and die.

Comment

Thanks a million cowman hope that I can be of assistance sometime to you. I really appreciate your effort in my behalf, a pleasant change in this day and age.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.