• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redhen...need some advice

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redhen...need some advice

I've been a little slack at getting some grain rolled so am still feeding my chickens grower/starter. They are growing like weeds and since they've been out on grass they don't eat all that much(Had to sythe down the grass as it was really tall and they didn't want to venture out in it too far). My little isabrowns and cornish giants are in another chicken house and of course they are still getting the starter mix(never lost a one!). Now I have some wheat, barley, and oats. What should I be feeding them(the red sussex crosses)?
    I never got them any grit, just threw them some road gravel. Will this work? Like I said they are growing like weeds. Also do chickens need salt, vitamins, minerals? Sorry if this sounds sort of elementary, but this chicken thing is all new ground to me.
    Also on the little chickens I have a brooder going but leave the windows open. They seem quite content under the brooder at night but don't want to have anything to do with it during the day(it has been very warm the last week or so). They are only a week old. Do you think I could put the brooder on a timer to shut off during the day and come on say at 9 PM?

Cowman, we don't raise chickens in the numbers that Elizabeth does and I'm glad to hear that your chickens are doing so well. They may not be eating as much of the prepared feed because it has been so hot and the bugs are likely a little more plentiful. They don't need any salt/mineral etc. as they get what they need from scratching around in the dirt.

If you're going to feed the grain whole and not ground, then they should have grit to help them grind it up. The road gravel may be a little too big for them. I know that we've thrown some excess gravel to them and they appear to have used it, but we tend to keep the grit in front of them too. If they don't need it, they just leave it alone.

Everything seems to do better with a little sunshine on it's back. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Thank you Linda. I think I will get some grit even though they will be getting finely rolled grain. I guess they probably have it at my local feed store?
      Also these chickens seem to be eating a lot of grass.

Comment

I've been wondering how your chickens are doing and now I know - how wonderful! It is the grass they are eating that is reducing the amount of grain feed they are eating. Grass is bulky and fills them up - just like larger livestock. Bugs are a really tasty treat that provides a bonus of protein! Your brood sounds very healthy.

Chickens will develop "curly toe" if they are vitamin deficient or can develop heart problems. I use a soluable vitamin/mineral from the local feed store often marketed under "Stress-aid" if the poultry vitamin is unavailable. I will give them some more in the winter as the grass really helps here now. The "starter" products are fully supplemented and by the time you switch to the grain they will be able to go outside onto that wonderful grass. If grass becomes an issue that's when I would look at it again. Redhen, what is your approach here?

If you are getting the weather we are out here in Manitoba - too much heat - then your brooders can be shut off. They should have a 24 hour temperature of about 80-85 degrees as they approach 2 weeks old. The next week you can drop it another 5 degress and so on. I usually just watch how they are acting, huddling = too cold, panting = too hot.

My cornish went outside for the first time yesterday. What a hoot - running after bugs, eating grass, scratching and digging in the dirt. I love to watch the little ones explore outside. Last night I had to help about 30 of them back inside. They were going to brave the elements and predators last night when it was supposed to drop down to about 9. Some do not have all their adult feathers yet. All are fine today, but I will have to check on them again tonight.

Keep us updated Cowman! Later, Jensco.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.