• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freedom of the Press?????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom of the Press?????

I heard today that the editor of one of the down east papers got fired for his editorial criticizing and god help him even suggesting that the prime minister should step down. The owners are old liberal supporters and loyal friends of the prime minister. I don't begrudge them the right to voice their own opinions but to muzzle the editors of their papers is despicable. It is a sad state of affairs that an editor can not voice his opinion without the threat of dismissal. What is this country coming too? What if one family owned all the major paper? There would only be one side of every story told. No matter how opinionated I can be on certain issues, I always look forward to hearing other opinions on the same issue. It gives us all a different insite into the issue.

Controversy should never really be looked at as a bad thing because from the conflict springs new policy, ideas, collaborations that might not otherwise have been thought of. Through both sides being heard and understood, tighter policies are made, more people become aware of the issue and change is undertaken.

Comment

Well I don't think one family owns all the papers but I believe it is two families...and they are part of the same old club. Why do you think we have any sort of freedom of the press? We get the news according to whatever the Eastern power elite interprets it. Of course we have access to that free unbiased crusader for Canada, the CBC!
      Many years ago my local daily was taken over by the Southam chain. Before the takeover they were very pro-western and represented the views of their Alberta readers, now they might as well be from Bay Street! They "educate" us dumb rednecks on how to be "politically correct" little Canadians. Obviously this paper is hardly worth reading now!

Comment

So much for regional diversity and point of view. The things that have made Canada great in the past are slowly be destroyed by the powerful who want to shape the entire country in "their image". Sad state!

Keep up those opinions everyone, I love reading them and sharing my own.

Comment

I wonder what is so bad about listening to someone elses opinion? I mean I subscribe to the Western Producer although I don't agree with their editorials(they aren't as rabid little commies as they used to be)! And on top of that they are a quality paper with a lot of information. Grain News is also an excellent little paper.
          I get sick of reading a paper that acts almost like an official party line for the Liberal party. Calgary Herald, Edmonton Journal, Red Deer Advocate! The National post was a good paper when Conrad Black had it but has really deteriorated since Izzy Asper bought it. Conrad Black let his editors speak their mind although he had his little personal rant once in awhile!
          Alberta Report is a good little magazine that tells it like it is. They rip everybody, including Ralph Klein! And Lord knows, he needs it!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.