• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handling Facilities

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handling Facilities

Just wondering what others implement as handling facilities when they need to vaccinate the whole herd and they happen to be out in pasture too far to move them back to the yard.

I was thinking of building some type of minimum working corral and using portable gates to make a lerger holding area. Looking for simple and time effective ideas. Thanks.

That's what we have. We built a chute long enough to hold three or four cows, and if needed, we can put a headgate on the end of it. We put posts in to help keep the panels from being pushed around though. It works good for loading the trailer to come home in the fall too.

Comment

If you can do this it is a great way to go.

I do like the 2 W cattle panels, posts gate in frame set-up. It is pricey but well made with good steel. It is made in Nanton Alberta and distributed through Peavy Mart or other type of dealers. It is alot better steel than the "brown" Roundup that the pool used to sell.

I have kept purchasing the 10 and 12 footers over the last 30 years. Today I have a basic structure at my pasture 14 miles away that stays there. The basic two 12 foot gate in frame and I haul over the panels and set up during the summer season to treat and later load out or haul home late Nov.

It is the heavy corral panels so as one ages it becomes more of a "pain". But very durable.

Comment

Our neighbours sell a clamp that locks
        sucker rod onto pipe posts (we use the
        7/8 and 2 7/8 version). No welding and
        it is quick, easy and cheap to put
        together the basic backbone and add a
        few panels to round out the setup. The
        advantage is you don't need very many
        panels and it is fairly cheap. Works
        out to $6.50 a foot with a 6' high, 6
        bar panel constructed this way. Our
        REAL panels are close to $11 a foot, and