• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm Crisis solution?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Crisis solution?

For the western Canadian farmer, a lot of our problems come about because we have to compete against the US farmer with his government backing. One only has to consider the grain industry and see that they are beating us hands down. Our livestock and meat must be sold in the US or we must compete for international markets against a subsidized American producer.
    Now if we were to join America these problems would be solved. No more border disputes, no more tariffs. Our agriculture economy would boom as well as our soft wood lumber and oil and gas. I would think we could get some preferential treatment just like Texas did when they joined the union. Afterall we do have some heavy oil reserves they just might be interested in and Alaska would be joined to the continental US.
    And think of the added benefits: No more labelling everything in French! No more metric! No more Kyota! No more silly gun laws! No more Canadian peso!
    I don't know about you but I'm getting sick of sending money to Ottawa and getting nothing in return. Except perhaps the knowledge that the crooks are passing it on to Quebec! At least if I send it to Washington I might get something back?
    I know this idea bothers a lot of people but companies merge all the time, so why not us? Consider that the Americans own just about all of our major companies anyway. It just makes economic sense.

Frankly, cowman, there's no way I would trade what we have here for the US, even with the tough year we have had. Having sampled to some extent many parts of US and other countries, I am continuously reminded how good we have it. This country has been good. On the other hand, there is no such thing as perfection. There are bumps in the road but I a convinced farmers in the US are having as tough a time as we are. There government just has different ways of dealing with it. Nonetheless, I don't see all farmers in US on easy street.

Comment

It would certainly be nice to think every thing is rosey across the fence, but we all know that's not true.

The United States have it pretty tough as well, but I would be one to sit up and listen closely if the chance to join them ever really became a issue. I don't think it would ever happen but I'm not so sure it shouldn't!!!

Comment

Pandianna: Well I'm just an old country boy who doesn't get out much, but I've spent a bit of time in Montana, Idaho Washington,Wyoming and a bit in Arizona. I find the Americans very refreshing!
        This is the show! We are the bush leagues!
        Maybe I haven't seen the seamy side of America, but then I haven't seen the seamy side of down town Toronto either!
        Now if I had a government who would guarantee me $4.50/bu. for barley you could rest assured that all the cows on my place would be taking a break today at MacDonalds!
        I find it sort of absurb that most Canadians have the concept that we live in the best country in the world! We do not! Most European countries have a way higher standard of living. The greatest country in the world is the US, even with all it's problems! Can you tell me why you think Canada is better?

Comment

Why should any of us have to explain to you why we think Canada is better. If you don't know this yourself, then maybe you are in the wrong country and should be in the States yourself. I am Canadian, will always be Canadian and will fight anyone who would want to make Canada anything other than Canada.

Comment

Instead of Canada joining the U.S.A., why don't we invite them to join US on OUR terms. Just think of the improvement that we could make to their health care and their absurd political system.

Comment

Well said Wilagro!

Comment

As much as I despise some things in this country I would likely concede that a lot of things in this country are far superior. But classing the American political system as absurd, I am kind of bewildered where you are coming from. I like their system because a president can only serve for two terms. I like the fact that a small state such as Montanna has two senators just the same as a big enormous state like California. This helps counteract the wishes of the huge metro areas which have no idea what goes on in the rest of the country. One of the reasons that agriculture is given such a priority in their country. As opposed to the Canadian system where rural areas have very little influence because of their limited amount of seats. Neither system is perfect tho.

Comment

Well I won't try to convert the convicted, but I wouldn't brag up our political system or medi-care too much. If our medi-care system is so good how come a large portion of our better doctors and nurses have left? Medi-care isn't free, just paid for with tax dollars. I think Ernest Manning was right about what he said about medi-care when they brought it in...that in the end it was the biggest mistake we ever made and eventually it would break the country.
                  And why would I want to leave Alberta? My great grandparents were pioneers here. Two uncles dead in the wars, my father crippled for life. I don't think they went so we could have a corrupt little gang robbing the country and stealing our Alberta heritage.

Comment

I have to agree more with cowman today. I fly a flag off my house and just wonder what Canada would be like if more people were not so darn apathetic. I can only speak from my experience, but I have repect for people of a country who show repect and pride for there nation every day. I really wouldn't want to trade flags , but we as a country should wake up and learn a thing or too. There will be those who cite all the crap the U.S gets ( hate by all the terrorists for example ) and the dark side of things like the back alleys of Chicago, but I am tired of listening to fellow Canadians who think we are " so nice " . Our troops spray painted uniforms with paint cans... the state of agriculture here... I can go on but were I and we should be going is in a solution focused direction instead of being defensive and standing guard over something that ' isn't so bad' .
                    Now that I've had the chance to freely speak , I 'm going to have a cup of coffee on my step under that flag... have a good day all...

Comment

It is unfortunate that North America could not create an economic union like Europe did. However, the big dog on the block would not see the benefit since they are so much bigger than either Canada or Mexico economically. That way the national identities remain in tack.

Personally, I kind of like the fact that we are the only country to beat the U.S at war with a mostly drunk PM at the time. Our history and diverse culture makes Canada unique. However, these things are not paying bills - economics will always play a larger role.

I don't think this debate will ever die. I remember having it some 25 years ago in high school. Keeps life interesting.

Comment

Ya gotta love the Canada debate, in terms of good and bad you can find both in both countries. However, if we don't have stand for something then we will fall for anything.

Cowman you know how to stir the pot, and are always good for a smile! All I can say is that I have been lucky enough to have traveled and worked in other countries and it never fails to make me smile when I land back in Canada. The challenge I guess we all face is apathy and those little political gremlins not only in Ottawa, but our town councils, our associations and other organizations that have infiltrated our infrastructure. Yes we need them, but not when they hurt the country, their province or their community.

Our Farm Crisis solution is going to come from the people that are sick and tired of being sick and tired. From the ashes comes the phoenix and rebuilding takes a solid foundation. I believe the foundation is there we just need to build on it again!

Comment

Looking at North America from a distance the 49th parralel tends to look a little absurd. The differences between Canada and the U.S. really are small given the big picture and the border is made of red tape. If the two countrys were to join I'm sure ten years after the fact Alberta would still be Alberta and we'd still be calfing out cows (though maybe more black ones).

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...