• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prices not that good?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prices not that good?

Stopped at the local auction yesterday. Butcher cows seemed to be off quite a bit. Best cow I saw sell was $63.50. A few yearling heifers (865 lb.) sold for $1.14. Some 700 lb heifers- $1.22.

We don't even watch the market in July. Around here, half the auction marts are closed, and those that are don't move many cattle. Any prices that get paid are not what we'd consider representative of the market.

I think there are a lot of extra animals on the market in the U.S. due to the drought. And expectations of poor corn crop with higher prices.

Best to just wait until the fall run starts, and avoid the stress for now. It could change ten times by then.

Comment

That sounds like quite a drop on the week. I sold a
      couple of cows last week, decent cows but not fat
      exotics by any means and they were 75.5 cents.
      Sold a single August born steer 805lbs - $1.375 so
      just topped $1100.
      I'm starting to think these fall calvers might be the
      way to go. No weaned calves to deal with going into
      winter. Wintered the cows on average quality hay and
      never fed the calves at all.

Comment

The futures chart has been on a free fall for days.

Comment

We had a discussion here about all this, and Hubby had an interesting point.

This price drop is supposed to be driven by the drought and poor corn crop. A lot of time those poor corn crops are salvaged by making sileage out of them. We wondered whether this could affect cattle prices down the road? I'm not sure about the U.S., but I would think sileage would be an option in Ontario.

What do you think, burnt? Is anyone there pulling into the fields with sileage equipment? And will they be looking for cattle to feed it to? It wouldn't affect Alberta much, but Manitoba has sent a lot of calves down east in the past.

Comment

I wonder if corn prices (or barley) are so high that no money can be made feeding cattle, why not slaughter them for veal? Why do we see 850 lb carcasses if there is no money in it?
            If grain prices continue to rise, how long until our "NAFTA" governments decide to put a cap on prices? It looks like the USA is heading back into recession......and remember it is an election year in the US? Rising food prices (and ethanol prices) get people mad! Never mind if the price of a new boat or RV go up a few thousand...that's just the cost of doing business!
            Of course the government could always say it is for the "public good"? That always seems to justify theft?

Comment

grassfarmer: I haven't weaned any calves for years. Just leave them out with the cows. Most of the cows kick them off by about January. Some of the young ones don't. Will pull the big calf a few days before the new baby is born in that case.
              Pretty crude I know but I don't have many opens...no more than I ever did.....and no sick bawling weaned calves!
              Being lazy has it's benifits!

Comment

I always made that mistake of thinking "why do the
                feedlots bid high when they might lose money?" too.
                Then I remember the nature of the feedlot sector -
                with empty pens they have no income potential. Most
                are custom feeding cattle for people with tax
                problems so the feedlot operator can externalize the
                risk of owning the cattle, it's the only way an industry
                with an average profitability per animal over several
                decades of a negative $ figure can continue.

On the self weaning calf thing I don't see it working in
                my situation. Once we get to a certain point in late
                fall - usually mid November we run out of feed
                sources suitable to sustain a milking cow without
                losing too much condition. To provide an appropriate
                diet to the calves to keep them growing at the rate I
                need they need to be on way better feed. The cows on
                the other hand, relieved of their calves now have
                grazing options available again that will maintain or
                increase their body condition. This is usually on
                banked bush pasture that has been rested all summer
                It's one way we shorten the winter and reduce cow
                maintenance costs.
                I always notice the pairs start to get restless in
                September when the first frosts hit - always bawling
                in the mornings when they see you, thinking you
                might move them to a new pasture and always
                moving as a herd. That behaviour stops when you
                wean - the cows will then settle down and split off in
                groups of 4-5 or even singly and they get right into
                the outlying corners you are grazing. I've noticed as
                much as a third more forage harvested with dry cows
                off the same area compared to grazing with pairs.
                So weaning appears to be a necessary evil in my
                situation as long as I have spring calving cows.

Comment

I'm wondering how long is the career of a cow who's calves are never weaned? That's got to be hard on the cows.

Comment

kato, I don't know how it will play out here yet. I don't think that there are many guys who are going to cut silage unless they are already in the feeding business.

The others will just take their crop insurance check if they are covered. Not many want to be bothered with cattle anymore - facilities are gone or in disrepair and once they quit they are not going back in.

I don't have crop insurance and will wait a bit longer to see how much grain potential it has.

There is going to be some grain, just don't know how much. The high ground is starting to really hurt wit some dried out dead.

And then there are a few spots that got rain and their yield potential looks fantastic! Weird year for sure so it's hard to predict anything.

Comment

This gives you a bit more insight into the crop / salvage situation -

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1229812--ontario-s-corn-crop-withers-under-drought

Comment

Thanks for posting that.

Comment

I agree with you Kato,that would sure be something i would be telling people,i'm to lazy to wean my calves.I guess it takes all kinds!!

Comment

If you never try anything different how do you know it won't work?
                            When I first tried this it was out of necessity. I had a contract that had to be done within two months and had no time to be messing with calves. What I found was it worked very well.
                            If we just do things the way they have always been done, we'll never move ahead.
                            When people started swath grazing, or no till, or intensive grazing, all the old stick in the muds said it would never work! I bet a lot would be horrified if you said a lot of your ration was based on straw or you let cows bed out in the snow?
                            No weaning works for me. My cattle are healthier, my bottom line is better.
                            If you are addicted to running around with a feed bucket in one hand and a syringe in the other, well go to it, no ones stopping you! But don't rip me if I see things different.

Comment

I'm sure with 1000 plus or minus calves coming home in the fall at weaning time,and almost 9000 acres to combine,we got all the time in the world to have a feed bucket in one hand and a syringe in the other,LOL!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...