• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cow/calf selldown

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cow/calf selldown

My local mart continues to move a lot of cow/calf pairs. Another 300 or so today. Where are these cows finding a home? The last sale I went to a lot of the cows were going to slaughter. Unfortunately I can't attend this sale so I'll have to phone my auction mart buddies to get the lowdown.
    After what looked like a fairly wet spring it has dried up pretty fast here in Central Alberta. I notice a lot of the little sloughs are almost dry again. There is one slough quite close to me that had a fair bit of water in it that is now bone dry again. This was a slough that was year round a few years ago.
    The grass continues to come slowly. First it was the cold and now it almost seems it is stalled for lack of moisture. Is this going to be another "challenging" year for pasture?

http://www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/pfintroe.htm
    Try the Drought Watch link on the left hand side. It is enlightening and interesting.

Comment

Thanks, I think, for the link Sean. In particular for the pasture map. It is difficult for me to see why pastures are so poor over such a wide area when matched with the precipitation maps. It would seem to be mmore than just precipitation that is influencing growth. What do you think?

Comment

It's a hangover from the last few years being dry and pastures got overgrazed and run down. They aren't going to turn around on a dime with what they've been through.

Comment

It feels a little like last year. A good wet June after a dry spring and then dry from July to spring next year.
          Be carefull. I don't want to be a wet blanket but it's still early. Not that I didn't keep all of the hiefers left back for that big pay back this fall!

Comment

I was at a farm sale yesterday and the cow/calf pairs sold very well(avg. about $1600). The continuing number of pairs hitting the market has got to be a concern. 1000 head at Brooks yesterday, 600 head at Ponoka.
            Talked to a farmer near Lacombe/Alta. who is fedding hay he bought for $112/bale. 1300 lb. alphalfa/orchard grass mix John Deere bales! works out to
            $172/ton!
            And this has to be the highest pasture rent I've ever heard of....$100/acre! Right here in central Alberta!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...