• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restaurant beef?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restaurant beef?

How consistant is beef (tender/flavor)?
    How many times have you got a steak at a restaurant that was pretty good, but two weeks later at the same place you got an old boot!

Personally I won't buy beef at a restaurant, or a grocery store because you just don't know how tough it will be. I don't like pork so usually stick to chicken or fish.

I have found if I want beef, better to eat your own.

Stampede week in Calgary has found me eating away from home several times. I can honestly say that the several times beef has been served to me I haven't had any unpleasant experiences. That would include a steak in your area of Red Deer.

Comment

Don't eat a lot of steaks and rarely eat them at a
      restaurant. I think a big dis-service was done post
      BSE with all those "steak sandwich" deals made out of
      cull cows. Had a few of them and they were shocking.
      At the same time if you are worried about tender/flavor I find it hard to believe you would be
      satisfied with chicken. I had an excellent pasture
      raised chicken from a friend about 4 years ago but
      other than that you may as well be eating tofu or
      cardboard.

Comment

grassfarmer: chicken can be a bit ugly, but at least you can chew it!
        I hear you on the taste.

Comment

I don't eat steak at restaurants very often if at all.

BUT - when I was in Vermillion a few years ago I had the best steak I ever had away from home at the restaurant in the then-new Super 8 Motel on the edge of town.

It was about the size of a small roast and done to perfection.

A couple of years ago I had a steak in a "Steakhouse" and it was just a waste of money.

So it all depends on where and how it's done, I guess.

Comment

Finding real good beef is like trying to find Atlantis at times. Grass fed or grain fed, they can be good or not good. Well, I haven't thrown out any grass fed beef yet. When in restaurants, I tend to go for liver. Can't remember having a bad piece of liver with onions. Yuummm.

Comment

Generally have steaks at home, with 4-H raised calves or Costco....hard to beat. Do pit roasts at home with roasts, short ribs and some pork. Save the Italian and Indian when we go out....its a good life!

Comment

If any of you are ever in Lloydminster, try Mr. Bill's. I've had
                several steaks there and never a bad one. They are cooked exactly the way you request.

The squid is good too!

Comment

You had my attention until you mentioned squid . . .

Comment

Ditto to Mr. Bill's. Our favourite local
                    restaurant. Casa D'Italia in Calgary is
                    fantastic as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...