• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fusarium

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fusarium

Charlie do you know if fusarium will be killed by the high temps used in pelleting of range cubes. (Malt sprout pellets)

Rain

Before I get into this discussion, I have to highlight the three levels fusarium can be detected at. Presence of the pathagen on seed (fusarium graminearum), visual presence of the disease (fusarium headblight damaged kernels) and presence of the toxins on the seed (D.O.N. or vomotoxin in the old world).

You mentioned malt sprouts so I assume that the grain is free of DON (or at least low levels) - malt barley has to be essentially free of vomotoxin or you get a very poor quality product.

With regards to fusarium graminearum, I haven't heard how the pelleting process would impact. I am not a scientist but I would guess would depend on the temperature/time held there.

Things that I have heard is that composting works for bunk spilled grain mixed in with manure. I with I had a better memory but this is a relationship between temperature/time and the death of the pathogen in composting.

A similar question was asked about tempering feedgrain with stream. No conclusive answer.

The consultation process has been going on for a month now. The issue has both grain producers, livestock feeders and the grain industries attention. What are peoples thoughts.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.