• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to look for in a Skid steer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to look for in a Skid steer

Saw a post earlier the value of a Skid-steer on a cow-calf operation. Looking for what to look for in a skid-steer.

Size, Model, attachments.

Jobs that would want it to do on this operation.

1)Own corral cleaning---Not alot of work but do it when and where to spread manure on the land ---to work in.

2)Leveling and moving gravel around yard and in new buildings.

3)snow removeal in winter--close to house area.

4)Bale spear to back up loader tractor putting bales out (bale graze) or in feeders in March/April calving.

5)Post-hole auger--move Wheatheart mount to skid-steer.

those that use them regular please offer suggestions. thnx.

We rented them for years to clean corrals. Hubby's favourite was a diesel Bobcat. The diesel seemed to have more power than the gas.

Grapple, for sure.

Comment

Pallet forks are a must. Probably the most used tool on ours.

Comment

Cab enclosure with heater would be a must.
        Without tracks (steel or rubber) I dont think you
        would be very effective in wet manure/corral
        conditions. Be sure to check out weight lifting
        capacity. Many skid steers are to light to move
        big bales the back end will just lift off. Diesel
        power would be the way to go in my estimation.

Would you consider a JD 5101e tractor? My
        neighbor has a JD 5603 that has worked well for
        him he is asking 30k for it, mfwd and loader. I
        have used it a few times and the loader is not
        overly powerful. This is a 100hp tractor, good for
        raking or baling. The 5101e I see are just over
        50k. The good skid steer is likely going to run 30k
        no?

Comment

The most useful here......quad and skidsteer. If skidsteer is 80-90 HP, you can do alot. Handy, simple. cleaning snow, barn, corrals....kids and mom can operate. For front end loader work, they are hard to beat....spoke to a dealer the other day who fiqured the small, aticulating loaders were going to take over for skidsteers. Supposedly becoming more popular overseas and just a matter of time before it starts here.
          Cab, radio, AC-heat, 2 speed for going down the road, about 25-30k shouild buy you a good one, well worth it.

Comment

All of you thankyou for your comments.

Stopped at Brandt (John Deere) in Saskatoon yesterday and I know this is xmas list "wish book shopping" but looked at what is available.

Size, Cab comfort, attachments and rental opportunity.

Per I saw the use of the pallet attachments---I can see your point of value.

This is a start for me down this trail. Over the years I operated a skid-steer during the construction of business buildings and our first home in the 80s. Sitting in the comfort of what is available today I can see one could spend alot of time there and enjoy it.

Again thankyou for the initial input. Will watch Kijiji as time goes on as well. Will have one on this ranch within the next few months.

Comment

be sure to get a 2 speed. I love my jd 270 but my only regret is not having a 2 speed. On the farm the single speed is too slow

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...