• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering?

With all the talk about the recent BSE scare in California, how the class action law suit is going here in Canada?
    I realize we are probably still a few years away, but I would dearly love to see the government brought to justice.

It's grinding on. The latest government tactic tried to lump us in with another case and get our suit reviewed, hoping to have it tossed out, or at least delayed again. BTW, they did it without informing our representatives. Tried to pull a fast one, to say the least.

However, that was not to be. Mr. Pallett got wind of it and represented us all quite terrifically. Burnt can attest to that. He was there to watch. Now we wait for the result from the panel of five judges, and a positive result there would be a major step forward for the cattle producers of this country.

The fight goes on.

Comment

I have to wonder if the ones that were most dramatically affected well live long enough to see it actually go to court. Just my opinion.

Comment

That's what the government is hoping for. That's why they delay and delay and delay.

Comment

I told my Conservative MP at a Christmas party maybe the government should pay their bills before they go blowing a bunch of money on a bunch of fighter jets we don't need! His attitude was they didn't owe a cent!

Of course he sold his cows about a year after BSE hit....and went into politics, where the grass is always green!

I often wonder if the general public can ever understand just how devastating this BSE fiasco was to the Canadian cattleman? I know it changed my whole outlook? I became a very cynical person....when it came to the damned government!

Comment

Interesting. If the Tories are so convinced that the BSE class action is all smoke and mirrors, then why have they consistently refused to have the case assessed by an independent mediator like Frank Iacobucci?

If Frank were to tell us we didn't have a case, we would quietly fold our tent and go away. Not much utility in pushing a rope in my experience.

Could it be that the Feds refuse to mediate because, in fact, they either know darn well, or merely fear, that we have a very good case indeed? The judges who have actually seen and read the material seem to think so.

We have come to recognize that the BS in BSE from the government's side stands for something other than 'bovine spongiform'. If your MP is so all-fired convinced that the government owes you nothing for the BSE crisis, he should have no problem pushing for an independent assessment of the BSE class action. We call it put up or shut up where I come from (Canada).

A double-edged sword to be sure, but you folks deserve closure of some kind (like a big cheque) on a timely basis. An independent mediation could shave years off the result.

Meanwhile, we continue to prepare for trial. Another 27,000 or so documents are expected to be on their way from the Feds soon and there will be more to follow.

semper ad meliora

Comment

Thought Randy would weigh in on this one.

Comment

Weigh in? All those of us who verbally support the class action seem to be able to weigh in these days is opinion.

Took the verbal stuff to to our industry groups who could step up and support the mediation suggestion that Cameron talks of. This is likely the only way that the current government officials would take any action other than --- "not on my watch". They do not care about the length of time that the inevitable court action will take. In fact - either will the next round of politicians after them.

Politics - like most of life - is all about "now".

The Ag service board of Alberta was the last "group" to act responsibly on this issue and all they could really do is pass a resolution supporting mediation. Could ABP, CCA or some of our other industry groups like the Cattle Feeders or even Western Stock Growers support mediation... YES they could.

I support it forage -- but that is about all I can do any more. The media won't believe me if I say I can get 1500 people out to the Red Deer Westerner Park again like the last time I hoodwinked them in to coming out.

Keep at er Cameron.... Semper Ad Meliora. Time could be shortened if we could duplicate the efforts of burnt and kato by a few thousand times. Otherwise -- I am personally looking forward to the eventual settlement for my what some folks call retirement.

Comment

ASRG - "I often wonder if the general public can ever understand just how devastating this BSE fiasco was to the Canadian cattleman? I know it changed my whole outlook? I became a very cynical person....when it came to the damned government!"

You are one of thousands of cattlemen who experienced that same transition. People have no idea what it meant to have the rug pulled out from under them and then left to make their own way on 2 broken legs.

An example of the extent of the (collateral) damage? We have been discussing with our sons their level of interest in taking over our modest operation in the near future.

The oldest is doing very well as an electrician and shows interests other than farming where the income is much more secure.

The youngest (20), however, made this statement - "When I saw what BSE did to you over those years I decided I didn't really want to get into farming".

He would have been 12 or 13 when BSE hit. That is the age when I started buying livestock - one calf becomes 2, then 3 and so the herd grows.

He never had the chance to begin as I did in a relatively safe and stable environment.

THAT is some of the unseen fallout from BSE, a government induced disaster.

Mr. Pallett, I hope you make note of that when assessing the level of damage the industry suffered. And yes, you may color me bitter.

And I should add that I felt our interests as cattlemen are being well represented by Cameron Pallett, based on the case he made for us at the hearing that Kato mentioned. He certainly commanded the attention of the panel of judges, something that the other parties failed to do. Trust me, there was no bored fidgeting while he spoke.

I think it would be beneficial to summon the energy to muster the troops once again and petition the government to appoint a mediator. The problem is finding the energy - it's one heck of a pile of work to do it effectively.

We made good progress last time and then they prorogued Parliament. But I would say that we certainly got their attention and that has got to be worth something.

What's the level of interest in giving it a nation-wide shot again? Can we get a solid campaign again with signatures from every province? Well at least the ROC? ;-)

Comment

Thanks John, I needed that. It has been one long frustrating road trying to get politicians to stand up for the people who elected them. Frankly, I sincerely doubt the politicians will entertain the idea of settlement talks until the eve of trial when massive public embarassment is staring them right in the face.

One consistent bright note throughout the course of the BSE class action is that every judge who has been exposed to the evidence gets it. Big time. While my cynicism concerning politicians and bureaucrats has increased exponentially, so too has my faith in our judiciary.

There is no telling how long it will take to get to trial and through the inevitable appeals, but one thing is certain; the Courts will give us a fair shake at the end of the day.

Comment

Which is what worries the politicians.

Which is why they delay. They're hoping it gets dropped in the laps of the next bunch to come along.

Which is also enough to make you just want to go up to Ottawa and throw some eggs.

Now that tax season is over and I'm relatively unemployed, I guess I'll work on a current mailing list. Even if we can't round up more petitions, we could at least send some letters and bring the new MP's up to date. We've sent them all letters before, so we can do it again.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.