• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polaris vs Arctic Cat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaris vs Arctic Cat

Went out to the shed this morning and my 2007
    Polaris had wiring issues....again....called my
    local mechanic who 3 weeks was asking me for
    more work, today too busy! Snow, mud, shit (yes
    were moving our calving date back again...maybe
    May) anyway 5 new calves to tag, heifers too
    chase up with calves to pull time for new wheels!

Found in town a new Arctic Cat 700 with power
    steering, a real fuse box, easy fill gas spout, and
    easy, easy battery boosting connections, heavy
    front bumper, heavy receiver hitch for my shark
    cage. $800 for an extra year of warranty $11k for
    the quad plus $500 for swamper tires. Now the
    kids want to check cows and I can quickly make
    night rounds with lights that frickin work! Loving
    the power steering the best, she is geared lower
    in low range than the Polaris. My biggest problem
    with the Polaris was reliability...mainly wiring
    running in the neck running to the instrument
    display. Every time you steer left or right wires
    stretch, rub, and pull. Also were on our 4th
    starter! Just under 11000 km on the old Polaris
    I refuse to have a horse in fact the one we do
    have is getting sold next week!

What is your quad and how is she doin?

We have a 2000 model Arctic Cat 500. It's been a good quad. The only problems we've ever had with it was when a mouse got in and did $1300.00 damage to the wiring. Can't blame that on the quad. Thank goodness for insurance.

It's not all that easy on gas, but it is built well, and has done a lot of heavy work for us. We got an oil heater, and it starts pretty good in the winter too.

Comment

We have a 1999 honda 450s foot shift and a 2011 Polaris 550 efi, my old faithfull honda has 17000km on it and runs like a champ...never had to walk yet and the Polaris is just too new we bought it last summer so it still and better work pretty dam good..LOL. I am looking at the new honda big red side by side thinking that it would be pretty good for what I need to do, does anybody have one? and anything good/bad to say about it?. I still think that Honda is pretty good and the only reason we bought the Polaris was it was a big bunch cheaper.

Comment

Never felt the need or justification for any of these
        types of vehicle. 4WD 3/4 ton truck and a tractor
        which I have anyway can accomplish anything I need
        to. Generally prefer to walk when ever possible -
        better for the bank account and the health.
        It's another good way to part farmers/ranchers from
        their money though.

Comment

Ya tweaker those old Honda's were pretty solid.
          There are some running around the native
          reserves up here I am told with 40,000 to 50,000
          km's on em. My 2nd choice would have been the
          Honda but am told the new ones are not as good
          as the old ones (like everything).

Grassfarmer a truck, tractor, foot will not do what
          a quad can. Chasing cows on foot??? Chasing
          cows with a truck if a frickin joke, they way way
          out maneuver you. If one of my heifers is calving
          I can being her into my maternity pen in really
          about 5 minutes from as much as half a mile
          away. Any cow I can't steer with the quad gets a
          little bump (pretty few) and right away she quits
          maneuvering gets her head up to watch me and I
          can run her in a straight line. If your gunna run
          more than hobbyfarmer numbers you gunna need
          a quad.

Comment

2006 Arctic Cat 400 automatic 4x4. Must have 10000 klm.New drive belt and new tires. Love the reciever hitch on the Cats. Could not have cows without it. A bit less stress on cows and a pile less stress on ME..

Comment

Yeah, you're always the big talker Allfarmer with your
              extensive machinery list. If you can't work cattle on
              foot I'd suggest you are the one who is going to
              remain a hobby farmer as far as livestock is
              concerned.
              I'm running more cattle than you are and this spring
              will be my 30th on the farm - never a hobby, never
              supported by off farm income. Part of that success is
              due to not spending unnecessarily on metal and
              machinery.

Comment

Maybe that's why your a tree hugger damn cows
                always chasin ya. Lol

Comment

There are lots of things to use a quad for. They don't have to cost that much either. Ours cost $4000.00 used. There's no need to spend a fortune.

1. Fence, check fence, fix fence.

2. Taking salt and mineral out to the cows. Saves the truck.

3. Load up the dog and go put wayward escape artists back where they belong. You can't drive the truck through the neighbours grain field. (BTW, it's rented pasture, and same neighbour is responsible for fence quality.)

4. Check cows in the pasture. Ours will let you drive right up to them and not move, while if you walk up to them, they do move. Cranky ones also seem to respect the quad. Some of our pasture is too big to walk, unless you've got all day, and too hilly for the truck.

5. Makes a nice seat while watching gates.

6. Easiest way to pull a sled if you need to move a calf.

7. Setting up temporary fences in the corn field. For this reason alone it's worth owning a quad.

8. Running lunch to the hay field with lawn chairs strapped to the front, and a cooler on the back. It's one of my favourite parts of haying time.

9. It's just plain fun to ride.

Comment

absolutely kato, there are many fun things to do with a quad on a farm. Our kids pull around a tractor tire inner tube in the winter and they have a lot of fun with that.I use our quads for many things around here and actually prefer them to my truck atleast when checking cows...like why rattle the hell out of the truck and make ruts in the mud when the quad just floats over the mud and as far as walking, I manage to put on enough miles doing that also.

Comment

Been farming full time for 35 years. Farmed the first 30 without a quad. There is not another thing on the farm that gets as many differant uses as my quad.

Comment

Well Writen KATO

AGAIN---The evolution of a quad on a ranch/farm.

Ranches with horses--know how and do use them very well. Along came the evolution of the quad and some ranches soon had quads working stock with horses.

Some places now don't have a horse and use a quad. One has to be carefull and know its limitations though.

I have seen and heard of some serious injuries on quads and some were fatal. Same thing could be said with horses.

I love my Honda. My herd respects the noise of the quad and knows I can turn very sharpely to "turn back" and animal or stop and back up and redirect the course. You cannot do that in a truck, tractor or on foot to the same effect.

This spring during calving in small paddocks a slow stroll through on a quad with the "slow motor noise" is quiet. If a calf needs to be brought in I could lay the calf over the seat of the quad and the "mom" would follow closely behind me.

Seen ranches gather cattle in the fall for preg-checking. A few occasions I was early or even on time and would watch the cattle come in. Horses, quads with horses, quads alone all work very well.

SNOWMOBILE--ENGINE AND SLED---THAT IS A GONG SHOW.---WILD CATTLE.

The quad stays on this operation. It is saddled up/fed and right by the house for me every morning.

Comment

Two of the most useful tools on our yard is the skidsteer and quad.
                          I occasionaly feed grain with my quad, so anytime I want to handle the girls, I'll feed them a day or two before with the quad and then it is a "follow to the holding pen" scenario.
                          We have a fencing trailer set up with all the tools necessary on it that is just great behind the quad. Also, the best wire unroller going....as well have a weigh scale to pull behind that also doubles to move that one silly calf that insists on going back when you move a group.
                          Granted, I am not in the shape that GF is, however it has allowed me to keep cattle when I otherwise may have had to quit. (Works great for moving swath grazing wires.......just a beaaach to rope off of......)

Comment

My former 2004 Polaris 400 had 9000 miles on it when I sold it. I once had the same issue of the wiring breaking, preventing 4WD and such. The weak point on that thing was the clutch. Even the Polaris mechanic finally admitted it to me after I'd been there enough times. The 500's are suppose to have a better clutch. But the way I drove it was more the cause than the design.

I now have a 2011 550 xp with power steering which is for sale. I only had enough business last year for one oil change. Should've waited til spring to upgrade. D'oh. I probably would've gone with Honda if I didn't need the clearance.

Comment

Replaced the polaris with a 700 yamaha rhino side by side. The extra passenger seat and back storage area makes for a real treat. More stable and less tippy than the quad, has almost replaced the horse except in the foothills. Cattle have you beat on the side hills with alot of popular bush so rely on the good old four legged hayburner..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...