• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rhubarb

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rhubarb

has anyone any experience in raising and selling this crop???

Just at the direct farm market level. Small sales but no push on my part either since it is not the primary commodity. I bundle about 5 or 6 stalks for about $1.50.

Once established, the plant self seeds and expands. In Manitoba, we can harvest from May/June until August as long as you do not let the crop go to seed. The climate promotes continued growth without going woody.

Local grocery store shows some interest for local production but have not investigated further. Would have to expand production...something to consider in future.

Comment

In Nova Scotia we have a grower with commercial production of Rhubarb. It is a crop which requires lots of attention but when managed properly it can be profitable crop.

Comment

Nakodo
        There has been a few tries in Alberta.

There is a couple in Central alberta who have made a significant try at doing commercial Rhubarb but it has been a struggle. There was a farmer from Westlock-Barhead who grew it for wine production for Lewis Wineries in Grande Prairie but that's another story.
        Rod

Comment

Has it been struggle on production or marketing end? From what I know, market is there and there is enough data and information in regards of commercial production.

Comment

Hello:
            A neighbor grew 2 acres last year some good some bad. One variety was not bought, a lot of work picking it. Email me and I will provide phone number
            pigpen@telusplanet.net

Comment

Rhubarb in Nova Scotia is produced primarily for processing, most often bulk frozen for use in bakery products. There is a producer/processor in Collingwood, NS, who originally used rhubarb to supplement is IQF strawberries and is now looking at expanding the rhubarb section of the business.

Comment

Growing rhubarb does require alot of work. It takes a few years before the plant is big enough to survive a heavy picking, if you are growing commercially. Often associated with growing rhubarb you must be aware that you will be inviting a pest problem into your soil.

Comment

Could you please define what the pest problem is? I don't know too much about rhubarb, other than there's a small patch of it that comes up every year. I'm curious to know what you mean by pest problem.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.