• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superior genetics and cost?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superior genetics and cost?

In the 80's/90's I used a lot of AI. Now supposedly these high priced bulls were superior? High EPAs/won the big shows/etc.?

The funny thing was the clean up bulls did just as good of a job (or better?).

There seems to be a lot of bull sales around where bulls rountinely sell for $5 or $6K or higher.....and yet you can buy their 3/4 or 7/8 brothers kept at home for $2500-$3000. How much fat and pretty hair do you get for double the price?

It seems to me if a breeder has a good uniform cow herd run at about the same conditions you run your cows, that bull might fit in better than one who comes from a high input herd with a lot of "professional management"?

How often are we paying for a "name" rather than functional cattle?

"Always buy from someone who runs their cattle harder than you do."

For me that's pretty hard because I am 'brutal' to some people's standards, so I try to buy from someone who appreciates the same qualities in cattle as I do. Things like longevity and easy fleshing, that aren't even on the radar for show-rings.

Never buy cattle with ribbon's plastered all over them.

All I ever feed the bulls is good hay and oats (when they are going from weaning to yearling). My two-year-olds might look rough, but I guarantee they will look even better when they breed and gain weight in your pastures.

There are enough crazy people in the industry to support crazy bull prices.

On a similar token to a previous thread, some people might love early calving. But I also meet a bunch that do it and b!-and-moan about it but don't change their ways. Same with bulls. Might moan about the price, but if your just buying it because it looks pretty, your still an idiot in my books. Some bulls are worth the expense, many are not.

Comment

When I first started out I shopped arround for some sound bulls that would fit my conditions. Burke Creek ranch at the time was leaving in tack approx. 90 bull calves that wintered on open range, no winter feed unless conditions really got bad. They selected 12 to 14 from this group in March, all selected from mothers with no feet or utter problems. They were hybrid, 5/8 red angus 3/8 sim., fit perfect with my char cross cows. I purchased my choice after they selected theirs. These bulls came back in after breeding season looking in the same condition as they out. Didn't loose pounds of grain or silage fat compared to bulls I bought at the purebreed sales. Wish they would continue with their program but they switched to black.

Comment

I think there is two issues here - quality of genetics
        and how bulls are raised. Unfortunately most are
        spoiled in the raising so you never get to benefit
        from any enhanced genetics they might carry. Just
        as this spring bull sale season is exciting and full of
        dreams the other side can be seen come fall when
        the cull bulls come to town. It's interesting to sit
        and watch the young bulls come through - the lame
        ones, the grown feet, the shelly empty ones that
        could never regain the condition they lost in
        breeding season. Lots of disappointments and
        broken dreams but the owners don't tend to attend
        these sales with the enthusiasm they do the
        purchasing outings. Lots of time between fall and
        spring to forget the lessons and start the process all
        over again!

Comment

Think about it fer a Split Second... A Bull is 50%, FIFTY PERCENT of The Cow Herd!!!!! Spend The Few Extra Dollars on Good Genetics, Yous'll Be Awarded in The End......... MOO (My Opin Only)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...