• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasture rent

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasture rent

I have close to 300 acres of pasture in the Saskatoon area I would like to rent out to neighbours if possible. Some of the grass is pretty good. Some is saline pasture and not so good. Some is altai wild rye. This land hasn't had cows on it for 2 years.
    What should I ask for rent. I would like to get 80 cents/day or more if I could.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Community pasture rates are about .65 cents a day and they do all the work. Don't get greedy or it will be ungrazed for 3 years. A good fence and water and the cattle owner doing the work of checking and roundup .60 to .75 cents per cow calf pair would be max.

Comment

We rent 2 pastures near saskatoon,the one is supervised and he does all the fencing that one we pay 70 cents a day.The other one is rented from long time friends,and that one we take care of everything and we also pay them 70 cents a day.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. I guess I was expecting a little too much out of this pasture. Actually I bought one of these quarters a few years ago and paid too much. But I owned the land on all 4 sides and decided I wanted to own it. The rest was wasteland that I spent 2 falls fencing. It fit right in with the over priced pasture quarter. I guess I was hoping to cover some loses!

Comment

Ya, you and about 5000 other guys looking fer Renters, Get in Line. Less yous gonna pay Me to run Cows on yer Ground, Not Interested............

Comment

Speak to your local auction market, they may know of someone looking for grass or quite often they buy "deals" and resell later and may need some grass. Once these cattle get to the price they should be, which is higher than current, more people will be into cattle...has happened before, will happen again.

Comment

Thanks Perfecto. Good suggestion.

Comment

perfecho I really do not think people are going to get into cattle if they are not in it already. The dollars to get in and the long term commitment compared to grain farming or working the rigs is not the cherry job it once was. The beef farmers left, are getting older every day...

Comment

I know what you are saying ProFarmer, and honestly am in the same shoes. However, this bull selling season I have seen some aggressive young un's really looking at stepping it up. I haven't been in Ag all my life...this was a retirement hobby that went out of control ;-0.....however there will most likely be a price point where it is time to expand. And really, other that canola, how much money is made on grain? Time will tell, but history shows it always comes back, however I am not sure history has had the job market competition we currently have.

Comment

How many of those Young'uns buying up high price cattle are those with Rig Money;s to deal with before the Tax man cometh? I'm sure its dad that will be looking after those cows.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...