• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dugout water aeration

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dugout water aeration

We have a large dugout in the yard we use for
    supplying our corrals/drinkers. We also use these
    drinkers in summer for cows on pasture. Last
    summer the water got very black so I bought a
    aeration system from Ufa (it a kuelkers mfg I
    believe) In two days the water was crystal clear.
    In fall I had to remove it so it didn't freeze up and
    get wrecked. Two weeks ago the water was
    starting to get black and today is black. I am
    going to move everyone out to a large calving
    pasture to allow them snow access in addition to
    this crappy water.

Question: does anyone run their aeration system
    year round? I do not want cattle only watering on
    snow. What I am thinking about doing is getting
    in a trac hoe and setting it up to run in the pump
    house. Very very few water wells in this area.
    Dugout filled every fall from a creek. Thanks AF

I have run a Koenders free air windmill in our dugout for the last 20 years with a diffuser stone. This dugout supplies my corrals and shed for the cattle. It is worth every penny. Water right now is crystal clear. Sometimes water will be abit murky if dam muskrats stir around to much.

Comment

we used a backhoe, trenched an air line with our suction line to our pump house. We use a stone and a small compressor which runs year round. Water is clear, and can keep fish in the dugout. We water our cattle out of it for a three or four months when they are weaned. Water in bowl crystal clear and odor free.

Comment

I tried to have a windmill in my yard but
        occasional wind storms ended that.

Guess I will install it in my pump house.

Thanks for replies guys

Comment

We use a electric diaphram pump plugged in at the shop with an airline above ground going to our yard dugout about 600 ft. Works very good except in times when changing temperatures cause condensation to buildup and freeze the line. But it is on top of ground relatively easy to unthaw. On our yard the line is not a nuisance where the dugout is located.

Comment

Aeration systems should be run all year round. Winter is the most important time. There is an anti freeze kit available for the windmills. And don't be afraid to let them cows lick snow. I've been doing it for 10 years. Not a problem.

Comment

AllFarmer, if you do decide to put on a air pump just make sure it is rated for continous duty.

Comment

I have a 24 foot tall Koender wind mill areating dugout. I pounded 8 inch posts back about 3 feet from bottom of leg of the tower. Run a cable from bottom of post up maybe 5 feet on leg of tower and tighten with a turn buckle. The koender is made to turn away from wind when getting going too fast. Has withstood some huge windstorms like this.

Comment

Countryguy that anti-freeze kit do you know what it actually is? Some guys hook up an air suction line to their pumps intake and a bottle of gas line anti freeze, we do not drink the dugout water but still am unsure of using that stuff so haven't done that, just wondering if there was something else to use.

Comment

Riders, it is a tank containing isopropyl alcohol where just the vapors go into the airstream. Seems to work real well, as long as you keep product in the tank.

Comment

Thanks for info!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.