• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoop structures and parasite concerns

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoop structures and parasite concerns

I am curious to know if anyone using hoop structures (biotech shelters) has had any problem with parasites? and if so what kind of deworming program did they use to fix the problem? and how successful was the treatment?

From my experience and from information I have read seems to indicate that if the pigs are parasite free when they are placed, that there shouldn't be any problems. I am just wondering if others have had different experiences.

You are right. The best place to control this is in the sow barn. What about mange or things like that. Any comments?

Comment

Greetings!!

I have not had experience with mange in pigs. That said, my understanding is that it too is best controlled in the sow barn. In so far as I am aware, mange is only introduced by carrier pigs; thus if the pigs are clean entering the shelter, there should be little concern.

However, if mange was a problem, the good news is it last for a relatively short period of time (I believe <5 days under most farm conditions) so control and eradication programs can prove quite successful. If you have mange in your herd, your best course of action would be to work with your herd veterinarian and establish a control program suited to the specific set-up of your farm.

There are several other diseases that are easily confused with mange, so once again, if you are concerned about it, work with your veterinarian to ensure an accurate diagnosis before beginning treatment.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.