• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking For

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For

Anyone out there know where i can find a Belted
    Galloway bull preferably a 2 year old or older. I am way
    past answering why this little retirement dream i had
    of a small framed hobby herd that was hardy and
    tough is no longer a dream. I guess girl cows need a
    boy cow as I was once told and i guess he may at well
    look the same as the girl cows. I knew i should have
    never taken her for a Sunday afternoon ride. And she
    said she didn't miss the cows

If you go to the article, there are links embedded in it.

Comment

Thanks Kato for the Post.

Both you and I have worked in Rural Veterinary Clinics so we have had the previlige of seeing CFIA from a differenct perspective.

CFIA is notarious for getting themselves into "blunders". The Anaplasomsis outbreak in Southern BC. The Anthrax situation in northeastern Saskatchewan a couple of summers ago.

Presently we keep seeing ads in the Western Producer, Other beef papers about:

BIOSECURITY----Call ######

I was at a veterinary meeting a couple years ago and one speaker mentioned they were launching this program and wanted the practicing veterinarians to promote it. The speaker asked for any suggestings on how to obtain producer interest. At the coffee break she was didn't attract much attention with her topic and presentation.

Not much interest in the cattlemen I talk to---More regulations?????

Comment

Biosecurity in cattle is about as attainable as biosecurity for people, IMHO. Contact with other people is unavoidable, and we all live with the risk of pandemic. Our cattle do the same.

The whole industry is based on mingling and mixing animals, and dragging them all over the country. They are not like pigs or chickens. They don't live in isolation barns, and they don't have a lifespan measured in weeks or months.

We have a cow herd, and a backgrounding sideline. Therefore, bugs and diseases are all around. You can't disinfect a tractor between pens, you can't stop the wind, and you can't just shut a door on them. The best we can do is keep our vaccinations up to date on our own raised cattle, and eliminate the sickness in the feeders as quickly as possible. It also doesn't take long to pick out the feeders that have come from "closed herds", where the guys tell us they don't vaccinate because "they don't have problems". Yup, they don't have problems, the problems are just waiting for the first immune challenge.

If fmd happened, all the biosecurity in the world wouldn't save anyone from the fallout. The closed herds would be just as quarantined as everyone else.

A biosecure cattle world, with no disease would be lovely, but so would a world where our kids never caught a cold. They are both about as easily achieved. That's just my opinion.

Comment

Way over my head , but it just sounds like empire building to me.

Comment

I don't know who you took for a drive but maybe you should have stopped by the seamen supply store.

Comment

ask purecountry - or contact George Ramsay at Ladywells Galloways.

Comment

Thanks forage thought of the"seaman" store before
                deal made.Simple the easy way if possible. Thanks
                rkaiser talked to Ladywells already will check pure
                country out

Comment

Biosecurity? How do you keep out the wildlife, the hunters, the snowmobilers, the OIL & GAS industry? Oh, I can see a conflict with federal biosecurity regulations and the loss of property rights in Alberta! Who then will be liable?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...