• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Property Taxes Going Up in Alberta?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Taxes Going Up in Alberta?

I was reading in the Edmonton Journal that property taxes are going up close to 11%? 4.1% of that increase is to pay for an 8.2% increase in the education portion of the property tax.
    The increase in the education portion goes to pay for the $107 million Redford gave the teachers to vote for her in the PC leadership contest!
    On my home quarter I paid $2600 last year (modest 1600 sq ft house-20 years old). I believe the county I live in is raising the municipal taxes around 6% so I guess when I add the 4.1% my taxes will go up 10% or $260 for a new total of $2860?
    Twenty years ago my taxes on this quarter and new house were $520. Twenty years ago I believe steer calves sold for around $1.10/lb.?
    Maybe I'm in the wrong business or something? If those darned cows were keeping up with "tax inflation" I should be getting over $6/lb for those calves!
    What is even worse is there is a gas well and close to 3/4 of a mile of pipeline that wasn't there before.....so the municipality is getting another $3500 or so a year from the linear tax on the pipelines and well bore! Not sure how much they get for the well head (machinery tax)?
    Bottom line: Between the property tax, machinery tax, linear tax, the county is probably getting about $50/acre....probably more than I could rent it for (native pasture)!
    Makes me wonder who really owns my land?

ASRG - I know you are following the land
    bills closely, so I am surprised you have
    any doubts about who owns your land...LOL
    The tax issue isn't going away. I am
    firmly convinced that the model for AB is
    to generate wealth in the hinterlands and
    send the money to the corridor...

Comment

Sean: And old saying: We can do this the "nice" way or we can do this the "nasty" way? So far we are doing it the nice way?
      I am a direct descendant of Cromwell.......we can go down that road if we have to? It involves an Axe!
      But hopefully we won't have to go there?
      Hopefully we can do this in a nice way?
      But.....at the end of the day....if anyone wants to take my property........I don't think so.

Comment

Oliver Cromwell? Our history includes politics but Cromwell took it all the way.

Comment

Good old Evan Burger told us that property tax and prov. tax well come a way down after the next election as soon as they get 100% control of the Legislature.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...