• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breeding questions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breeding questions

I'm hoping you guys and gals will tell me what I want to hear.Long story short I came across a bull I am just tickled with a few years back and am planning to buy a half brother to him with the goal of creating a whack of females off of them.

My problem is at the moment a lack of pastures to pull the daughters and breed them different.

What problems might I encounter breeding daughter to father? Their calves would just be sale calves and no heifers would be kept back. All this will hopefully be for one calf crop only.Thanks for your help.

Breeding sires to daughters will probably create a problem, depending on what breed it is and what recessive traits are in the background of the father.

I had to do it once on a small group of cows when the intended bull to be used was killed by the sire of the cows. Short notice, about a week before breeding season.

I wouldn't do it again. I'd rather leave the cows open and ship them than do it again. Weak calves and hypotrichosis cropped up in one of the calves.

Comment

I will give you a bit of advice.....knowind I will probably get roasted, big time>
      Yea, you'll get a few dinks......you'll also get a few individuals who will rock your world!
      In the big picture you'll probably break even?
      Not in anyway advocating this practice.......but sometimes this stuff is necesary...in tne end it is your money? The "experta" never have to pay the bills!

Comment

Countryguy, I wouldn't be too worried - any time
        you breed close you might expect to see some
        "inbred depression" which might manifest itself as
        reduced growth, performance etc - it is the opposite
        of hybrid vigour after all. You should get less
        variation in the offspring as the outliers on both
        extremes will be reduced.
        15444's experience sounds like a worse case
        scenario. Just remember though there are "genetic
        defects" in nearly all cattle - inbreeding or line-
        breeding does not create defects it allows them to
        be expressed. If you had a purebred herd that
        produced this effect when inbred and went back to
        outcrossing them to unrelated cattle within the
        breed the defects are still there but hidden by the
        heterosis.
        A thought on your plan to buy a half brother to a
        bull you liked previously - according to Lingle the
        odds of ever reproducing an identical full sister or
        brother are a staggering 205,891,132,694,649 to 1
        So your chances of getting any degree of
        "sameness" from two half brothers would be
        considerably worse.

Comment

I might ad that the 1/2 brother is likely from the same sire rather than the same Dam. This is the usual choice. If the bull you are after is going to be for female replacements, the dam is every bit as important; maybe more.

Once you start the process, like GF suggests, I would not be worried and in fact would take a very close look at the progeny and would not jump the gun on calling them sale calves.

Our line breeding program is not quite as tight as father daughter, however just as inbred depression may occur if your choice is faulty, line bred concentration of quality traits leading to consistency and predictability has proven to work very well.

Comment

Nothing "faulty" about inbred depression/regression
            Randy its a natural consequence of reducing heterosis
            and building homozygosity. You can't close breed
            without getting it.

Comment

I'll add, I think a 1/2 sister and brother deal would work well, but sire/daughter is a little too narrow a gene pool for me.

Comment

We have used sire/daughter matings
                before on a proven sire. We carefully
                considered things before we did it and
                created some pretty nice cattle. It
                happens all the time in wild
                populations, but with economic
                considerations you might want to limit
                the numbers a bit so you don't expose
                your whole herd to the marketing
                challenge of having some calves with
                reduced performance.
                If you are concerned there are lots of
                good maternal bulls around.
                I agree with the fact that half-sibs can
                be pretty different. For example, if
                you have a sister, they are a full sib
                and have at least 1 completely different
                chromosome. I would look at cow
                families, and type and look for similar
                numbers (not necessarily the biggest).
                This is at least an indication the 1/2
                sib has DNA in common with the bull you
                like.

Comment

Thanks for the good info guys. Never had to pay much attention to this stuff in the past.Being primarily a grain guy I want to take the cattle side of the farm a little more seriously now so I have a few things to learn along the way.

I'm thinking I will take out as many of the heifers as I can round up pasture for.It will be interesting to see the difference in the calves.One thing I can say for sure is that I am sure liking these Simmental sired calves coming off the Galloway Angus cross cows.

Comment

countryguy---I would like to step in here now because this has been the direction that have interested me for a long time. All the posts on your topic have been "good comments".

It appears that you are running some type of a cross-bred female herd and by running simmental as your 3 way cross you are achieving some great hybrid vigor. It is no wonder you like the heifers that you are getting. You're steers should have been "eye-catching" as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...