• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cold spring

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cold spring

About this time every year I am sick of feeding cattle. Last year I had to keep feeding until the end of May(but lightly as I had some left over grass). No leftover grass this year! How long this year? Once again everything is white here this morning. And the weather forcast sounds cool.
    A lot of people have to be scraping the bottom of the feed barrel. What happens if we get no signifigant growth until late in the month? Is this why so many cows are hitting the market right now?

How widespread was this snow? South of Calgary there was about 2 feet. Rather hard to measure as it drifted a lot and was also melting from underneath as it was falling. Still have well over a foot on the ground. Here cold springs are the norm. and historically we often have to feed to at least the middle of May and have fed as long as the first week in June. Fantastic moisture for crops and grass, but sure hard on the little calves and cows teats. At least most of the calves have some age on them now.

Comment

Very little at Red Deer...maybe a couple of inches. Nothing to the north of us. Sure am glad to hear you guys got some moisture even if it was sort of solid rain!

Comment

No moisture here in central Sk. It's so dry here we can apply for Afgan relief. Another month of this and we will be past the point of any chance for this year, we may be past it now.

I've done everything to make it rain, I even washed the truck.

Maybe we should hire one of those cloud seeders that used to go around years ago. I'm sure our gracious gov't would pay for 1/3 of the bill as a grant.

Comment

Muttley: Try leaving a truck load of fertilizer outside overnight with the tarp off. That usually brings a rain in at my place.

Comment

Well it has been so cold here that the only two crocuses that we have been able to find are still wearing their fur coats. Does anybody know what is the usual date that they appear? We still have snowdrifts everywhere.

Comment

The earliest crocusses I ever saw were March 18. Must have been about ten years ago. My cousin was cultivating the next day. So far just a few farmers out working in the last couple of days.
              I find it kind of odd that all the reports on the radio seem to be that the drought is done and good times are right around the corner. We had a pretty decent snowfall this winter and some moisture this spring and yet it is only wet for about 6 inches. The neighbor had a dugout built in Feb. and he said it was dry all the way...18 ft.! No frost, too dry. And not a drop of water in it this spring!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...