• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB director elections

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB director elections

I started this thread back in Feb. I received this reply from Rod Flaman. From the way Rod skirts around this I'm sure he is headed on to politics. Nice to know that he agrees that actual producer should have the say in director elections. No reply from the BOD.

Ormond,

I received your letter of Feb 02.

I note your recommendation to allow one vote per acre to be shared between landlord and tenant to be shared based on the percentage of crop share. ie. on 1000 acres rented on a one third/two third basis - landlord casts 333 ballots and the producer casts 667 ballots.

I agree that the actual producer should have the right to participate in the CWB election process. In fact I would point out that this has some similarity to the idealogy on which producers share the markets for board grains. Each producer shares each market to which the CWB sells based on a proportionate share of their production.

Your last paragraph says that the system you are suggsting "would give all producers, including landlords, and equal say in the CWB director elections." In fact this would not give all producers and landlords an equal say. Do you mean that this would give all producers and landlords a fair say? an equitable say? Certainly I struggle with the idea that a quarter section hobby farmer might have an equal say as a 10,000 acre farmer as to the running of the agricultural business and the associated policy in the prairie provinces. I would point out that it is conceivable that in any community that 1/4 section farmer might contribute equally to the provincial and federal taxation system, the local school, local grocery store, the local church and other community based activities.

I myself am a small farmer and could not exist without income from sources other than grain farming. I was once at a meeting where the provincial minister of agriculture was speaking. After the meeting the minister asked me if the province should give funding to large farms. It was interesting that he asked that instead of the question as to whether small farms should be funded. It makes you wonder what idealogy he was struggling with. Do we serve people or do we serve the industry? How many farmers will survive the shake out? When I farmed 2200 acres I thought that I was a large farmer. I could not sympathize with a 1/4 section farmer at that time. I must admit I feel somewhat differently now. Even if I were still farming 2200 acres I would no longer feel like a large farmer. Large farms are now 10,000 acres plus. Large farms in Brazil are 35,000 acres.

How long will the 2000 acre farmer be viable? How many communities can rural Saskatchewan support if the average farm size is 10,000 acres. I am concerned about the number of farm auctions upcoming this spring. I am not sure if the numbers are up but the trend is obvious. My great grandfather homesteaded in 1906. My sons will not come back to the farm. They are moving to Alberta or beyond. Shall we abandon Saskatchewan to the corporate farm? I believe that this is a discussion that should take place throughout rural Saskatchewan, within various producer associations, commodity groups, and certainly at the CWB board table. If we serve farmers as our primary stakeholders we should be analyzing who they are today and who they will be in five, ten or fifteen years. If the decline is to continue then are those farmers who are projected to leave the industry legitimate stakeholders? Should they be encouraged to leave in the most approriate fashion? Should they be allowed to have a negative impact on those who are most likely to remain? This is a debate that is not taking place. The question that you raise is at the heart of this debate and without bringing it squarely into the midst of the public forum I don't think that creative solutions will take place.

I did bring your concern about CWB Director elections to the board table. There was no support for a change to the existing process. I welcome your further comments.

Rod

Is there a way to get this issue dealt with in the upcoming CWB director elections this fall? This should be one of the platforms that people should be running on.

What steps are people taking to get good candidates selected for the CWB director elections? Similar question about getting the farm community to vote (including livestock industry)?

What about feed barley? A combination of larger crop and restrictions on feed barley/wheat that has fusarium graminearum entering Alberta may make access to the export market for these grains critical in the coming year. Is a system where you get pool return outlooks based on best guess market signals (no guarantees), are then asked to contract based on these forecasts, followed by recieving about 50 % of your expected total payments on delivery and then wait for the remainder (still carrying the price risk), still workable. Should farmers who are mainly wheat producers be able to make decisions on a barley issue?

Comment

Charlie,

The CWB monopoly supporters will not allow a change in the election process simply because it would not be in the interests of a status-quo CWB.

The CWB, if it is to survive in the long term, must serve the legitimate needs of the 20% of grain producers who grow 80% of the wheat and barley.

By allowing the 80% of growers who produce 20% of the grain to dictate marketing policy only drives out more industrious innovative producers into other industries... is this the CWB's objective?

Is it wrong to need and expect true dependable market signals, yet the CWB signals are not trustworthy, so is the true intent of the federal government to drive growers out of wheat and barley production?

Until the CWB is financially responsible and accountable for the grain products they market, how can we expect the US to reduce subsidies?

Obviously these questions are being asked in the US by US politicians, whether they are only part of the picture or not, the CWB is a really good excuse to hammer Canadian farmers into the dust... how much longer will we be able to take this abuse?

Since it is the federal governments CWB marketing policy, not Alberta's, why shouldn't Alberta demand the Canadian government pay CWB compensation, or give us accountable marketing choice?

Comment

Wedino,

When the Wheat Board's Flaman states, "If the decline is to continue then are those farmers who are projected to leave the industry legitimate stakeholders? Should they be encouraged to leave in the most approriate fashion? Should they be allowed to have a negative impact on those who are most likely to remain?', he sounds like he just walked in from the Kremlin.

In the good old days under the Communists, the best way to deal with these old farmers about to retire (particularly those having the potential to have a negative impact), would be to dump them off in Siberia in a work-camp, or better yet, just eliminate them. Flaman sounds like he's a quick- learning comrade at the Wheat Board Meddle Table.

Flaman would do well to remember that all farmers are legitimate stakeholders becausefarming is their bloody industry. He would do well to remember that farmers will exit their industry when and how they like and in whatever fashion they want.

Farmers need to tell guys like Flaman that he has no authority to be allowing or disallowing squat. Flaman's legal duty is to see that the Wheat Board follows the Act as Parliament mandated and considering that the Board does not follow the Act, he'd do well to tend to business.

Parsley

Comment

Parsley,

No has suggested that retiring farmers be dropped off in Siberia. The last time I checked we still claim to live in a democratic country. Recognizing that 80% of the the grain is grown by 20% of producers the question is should the power of farm policy be given to those 20%. As farm population declines there will always be that 80/20 split. Right down to the last 10 farmers.

Comment

The million dollar question. Should the CWB be run as a corportation (voting based on ownership interest) or a cooperative (one person/one vote regardless of ownership stake)? Should a part of the CWB's mandate be social policy or strictly business?

Comment

Charlie,

Is that one or two questions? Right now the control is not based on ownership. If we base the control on ownership and if the ownership trend continues then control will eventually derive to a very small group. That trend is parallel to the contraction in the grain handling industry. Soon there will be only three or four major grain companies bidding for the producers business. What is the term for that?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...