• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Follow along folks

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow along folks

If this new rule happened to come from anywhere else BUT the USA --- guess who would be all over challenging the rules alongside uncle Sam. Since it is dear Uncle Sam who is making the rule, guess who will follow.

American moves to prohibit certain uses of cephalosporin drugs in cattle, swine, chickens and turkeys may have implications for Canadian livestock treatments.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an order Jan. 4, to take effect April 5, which will prohibit extra-label or unapproved uses of cephalosporins, a large class of antimicrobial drugs.

Veterinary drugs have approved uses listed on their labels but veterinarians can recommend alternative or off-label uses if they think the drug can be effective in treating a specific situation or ailment.

The FDA said it is taking the measure “to preserve the effectiveness of cephalosporin drugs for treating disease in humans. Prohibiting these uses is intended to reduce the risk of cephalosporin resistance in certain bacterial pathogens.”

Use of microbials in livestock production is believed to contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which can be a threat to human health. However, the exact role of livestock antimicrobials in development of resistance is a matter of major debate.

Certain classes of cephalosporins are commonly used in humans to treat pneumonia, skin and soft tissue infections, as well as diabetic foot infections and urinary tract infections.

“If cephalosporins are not effective in treating these diseases, doctors may have to use drugs that are not as effective or that have greater side effects,” the FDA said.

Tim McAllister, an Agriculture Canada research scientist in ruminant nutrition and microbiology, said this particular class of antimicrobials is not used for disease prevention in Canadian cattle but is used to treat illnesses, including bacterial pneumonia in cattle and pigs.

The FDA’s move to limit certain uses of the drug might have a bearing on whether Canada considers similar changes, he said.

Alberta veterinarian Roy Lewis agreed.

“If the U.S. says they’re going to do it, it puts a lot of pressure on us to follow suit,” he said.

Specific off-label uses prohibited by the FDA in the U.S. include:

use of cephalosporins at unapproved dose levels, durations or routes of administration
    using cephalosporins in cattle, swine, chickens or turkeys that are not approved for use in that species
    using cephalosporins for disease prevention
    The FDA noted that veterinarians will be able to use or prescribe cephalosporins for limited extra-label use in the four named species as long as they follow the dose, frequency, duration and route of administration on the label.

The order does not limit the use of cepharin, an older cephalosporin drug not believed to contribute to antimicrobial resistance.

Interesting. Not sure how it would change anything though.

This isn't a very commonly used drug that I know of. The only thing I've seen it used much is in mastitis treatments. Disease prevention? Overprescribing? I'm not sure what the application would be. SADIE needs to wade in on this one and tell me if I'm missing something here.

On the other hand, if drug resistance is an issue, it's probably a case of locking the barn door after the horse is gone. It's been overused in human medicine for a very long time already. We were on a holiday ten years ago, and traveling through Montana when Hubby's bronchitis (that we thought had cleared up) came back with a vengence. We went to an American doctor to see if he would refill the cephalexin prescription he had been taken. When he told the doctor what drug he'd been on, the doctor just laughed and said, "You're still using that drug in your country? That stuff doesn't work. We don't prescribe it any more. I'll give you something that will work." He then proceeded to give him something that cost about $150.00 for five pills that worked like a charm.

This was ten years ago. Did he change the pills because they cost more? Or because he'd given up on the cephalexin drugs already? Who knows?

Comment

Intelligent comment:
      “If the U.S. says they’re going to do it, it puts a lot of pressure on us to follow suit,” he said.

I think I'd be more worried about the USA leading Canada into war with Iran. Harper is beating the war drums already claiming Iran is building a nuclear bomb. This is BS. Iran offered to have their nuclear fuel recycled by other IAEA members like Brazil, Turkey or Russia and the IAEA and USA said NO. Russia and China are backing Iran, and are freaked that the UN and NATO members are going to maniuplate the UN Security council, they way they did with Libya.

Iran wants to enrich their own uranium for fuel for nuclear plants - as they have every right to do; and the New World Order lackies claim it is for a bomb. Sound familiar - Iraq 10 year war, no weapons of mass destruction (nuclear) ever found.

Its time for the tail of the dog to detach itself from the mad-dog leading us down the path of self-destruction. Harper's an idiot! Do Canadians really want to have "economic growth" based on a "war economy"?

Comment

There won't be any war with Iran.....China is
        backing them so the US will be looking away. He
        who holds the gold rules.

Comment

Thanks for info R.Kaiser, to bad we cann't have some good news to post on the beef industry.
          I don't about the rest of Alberta but it is as the old saying goes "its colder than a witch's tit in January " sure rings true for last night.

Comment

Shoulda bin at the Temple Grandin workshop in Olds today forage. Good news spewing from our Brenda "the co headliners" mouth during her speach. She was a bit shocked when she asked the audience to give her a "hell ya" when she said how good the cattle prices are these days. I guess she thought she was at an APB meeting and not standing in front of a room full of survivors who deserve a lot more than the prices that we are getting now after years of red ink. She barely got a clap.

Don't get me wrong -- good old Brenda is enthusiastic and has changed her tone on implants, ractopamine, and the potential to sell beef to the growing middle class in Asia over the years.

Well I guess I can't realy say that I remember her opinion on Asian exports.

The part of her speech that brought me close to puking is the way she was trying to whip the crowd into the usual "lets all work together and make Canada beef special" frenzy. How can we work together in an industry divided into three completely separate segments that are in direct competition with each other for profit on each individual animal.

Once again this typical ABP/CCA tone of working together and helping the poor packers sell some beef fell on quite a few def ears.

How long is this story going to continue? There is no united beef industry in this country when it comes to conventional beef.

We have a cow calf guy who tries his best with genetic selection to create a healthy, nutritious and high quality product.

Who offer them to ----

A feedlot industry out to get those cattle for the least amount of money they can --- driven completely by their own cash flow statements and demand from the packer. And then take those healthy nutritious cattle, load them up with frankenstein chemicals that take all the work on tenderness and quality by the cow calf guy and flush it down the toilet in favor of sheer volume manipulated muscle protein. And other games that they may or may not get paid for by the packers for their niche market carcasses.

The feeder either makes an inside (play our game) deal with the packer or sells them at the lowest price the packer can possibly pay to market these carcasses with the help of the checkoff dollars paid for by the folks below.

This system is more dysfunctional now than it has been in the 30 plus years I have been in the biz.

The good news forage --- is that there will soon be an option. The producer owned packing plant and future plants are still in the works and we will all still have a true opportunity to work together to make our industry viable sustainable and profitable for every sector of the industry.

And Temple Grandin was awesome.....

Comment

Temple Grandin is always awesome.

Comment

Goodmorning R. Kaiser

To respond with Kato's first comment Cephalosporin I do not ever remember using in my Beef Animal Practice protocal. My first thoughts go to the treatment of respiratory disease in calves (young or background or feedlot).

I do remember the use of them in turkeys and swine (at seminars).

Being my (better half is acute care nurse) I will run this by the human side of things today or tomorrow to get an update on that drug in the human world.

R. Kaiser---your second post the Brenda you mentioned was it your Rimbey Alberta Brenda?

Temple Grandin is a very dynamic speaker. Hand her an RFID eartag and get her to talk about that structure and useage!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Randy: You have a pretty accurate read on the current cattle situation. Thank you for all your efforts to provide an alternative for Alberta cow/calf producers.

Comment

R.Kaiser, Every time these events are scheduled I have to be up in no mans land working. Appreciate the efforts you and others are doing to keep us informed on the issues . Is there a website that this Temple Grandin speech can be accessed. There has to be a better way for this industry to survive. The old ways of rasiing cavles and marketing at auction has to be changed as we are all getting it in the ear. Only if the check off dollars would go building facilities like the one you promoting instead of ABP luxury travelling arround the world. The new chairman of ABP is a lost cause as far as I am concerned and if this is the best that can surface to the top the ABP is in serious trouble.

Comment

www.grandin.com

I don't know anything about the drug in the article Sadie and don't really care. I was trying to make a point, like Kathy eluded to about our "follow Uncle Sam" attitude. And yes our dear -- buy my newsletter Brenda LOL --- is from Rimbey.

Comment

Just a little insight into some of what we are doing folks.

Asked the wonderful and well funded by your checkoff LOL Canada Beef gang for a list of importers in Hong Kong. First they wanted to know what we were up to so that maybe they could share the info with their leaders LOL.

Then they gave us a list of 4 importers that we may be able to do business with.

We asked the Chief Health Inspector for Hong Kong for a list and he gave us 30 pages with about 30 potential importers on each page.

Our industry presence in Asia is a joke. Just enough beef going over there to have the feds and the big boys slap each other on the back and create some media about how much their efforts are paying off... Seriously one of the biggest facade's I have witnessed in my life.

I saw Alberta rib eye steak on the counter in Hong Kong for 35 bucks a pound and US rib eye right beside it for significantly more (did not bother to calculate the exact price on the US stuff).

By the way --- do you think that the Chinese are even close to being as accepting as Hong Kong when it comes to American beef.... LOL The Canadian Flag on my cowboy hat was like a crown and I was treated like a king by the actual beef buyers we sat with in both Hong Kong and especially South China.

If you don't think we can make some major money putting beef on the counter for less than these prices and sell every last bit of Canadian beef into Asia, you are obviously caught up in the dream that Cargill and Brenda and even our own multinational led politicians are portrayed as reality...

Time to WAKE up from the dream folks. It is being manipulated for the benefit of a very few.

Won't be long before all the details of what we are doing is available folks and at that point I could give a rats ass if the big boys know those details or not.

They have this North American beef market not only captive, but hostage. Having some business partners who have little respect for multinational hostage takers in Asia or even the E.U. is our way out folks. Simply put.

Comment

This thread is turning lots of ways...
                          A few thoughts...
                          There are as many millionaires in China
                          as there are Canadians (more by now). I
                          think this is pretty basically an
                          attractive market. They also have a
                          history of eating all parts of the
                          animal. One real challenge here (that
                          is probably another thread) is that I am
                          not sure we have the greatest beef in
                          the world or the structures to build it.
                          Efforts like yours RK and feedback
                          structures are a big part of the
                          solution to that.
                          Conventional marketing wisdom is still
                          useful, however a lot of it involves
                          manipulation of inventory numbers and
                          rolling inventories around and doesn't
                          always work for cow/calf enterprises.
                          Improvement of beef cattle genetics is a
                          long term project that requires a stable
                          cow base.
                          Temple Grandin is very good,
                          particularly at developing systems for
                          places where people may lack handling
                          skill and still have to handle cattle
                          (eg: processors, feedlots, etc.) We
                          don't follow all of her
                          philosophies/practices around here but
                          she has done a lot for enabling animal
                          welfare.

Comment

"By the way --- do you think that the Chinese are even close to being as accepting as Hong Kong when it comes to American beef.... LOL"

What do you mean by that comment RK? Are you implying China and HK have different beef importing standards?

Comment

Randy hats off to you for taking the initiative to go to China and Hong Kong.... that said there is a big difference between making market contacts and getting the sale done. We ship and sell in the HK market and there is a finite limit as to what they will take and better yet pay...HK also just buys mostly middles (sweet cuts)... No hips, no trim and hardly any chucks... AS far as China we have given quotes on cattle pack prices (the entire carcass)to China... The number one question that comes back "is this the best price can we get any cheaper and why are you more than such and such". Sure there might be some buyers over there to pay premiums, but trust me it takes much more than just killing and shipping the beef.... the vast majority is sold on the cheap and cheerful. If there was so much money to be made in that market don't you think Cargill would work hard at swinging beef in that direction rather than the US.. Finally the $35 / lb price.... have you ever been in a whole Foods... some of these retailers are putting 70 points on product... Sorry don't quite buy the streets being paved with gold.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.