• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manganese and prion disease

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manganese and prion disease

for some reason my last thread was deleted and the email address which I am supposed to contact as to why, does not work - "mayor@agri-ville.com".

Here is the abstract for the paper, again. I hope you will leave it on the site this time. As, this DOES relate to beef production, since BSE and prions are blamed for these brain disorders. There is an over-whelming link to excessive manganese in the environment....

Cent Eur J Public Health. 2011 Sep;19(3):158-64.
    Geographic accumulation of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Slovakia--environmental metal imbalance as a possible cofactor.
    Slivarichová D, Mitrová E, Ursínyová M, Uhnáková I, Koscová S, Wsólová L.
    SourceDepartment of Prion Diseases, Slovak Medical University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic. dana.slivarichova@szu.sk

Abstract
    Slovakia is characterised by an unusually high number of patients affected by genetic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) with E200K mutation at the PRNP gene. Penetrance of the mutation is incomplete (59%). Therefore, for the onset of the clinical manifestation, an influence of other endo- or exogenous factors could not be excluded. Experimental data suggest that copper and manganese levels may play an important role in the pathogenesis of prion diseases. The highest number of Slovak genetic CJD patients originates from Orava - the northern region of central Slovakia. Manganese is a dominant pollutant in Orava. The objective of this study was to clarify a possible exogenous influence of environmental Mn/Cu imbalance on the CJD clustering. Mn and Cu levels were analysed in the brain tissue of genetic CJD cases (from Orava and from control regions of Slovakia), as well as of sporadic CJD patients and controls. Analyses demonstrate i) significantly higher Mn level in focally accumulated, "clustering" genetic CJD cases in comparison to all other groups, ii) Cu status differences between compared groups were without statistical significance; decreased concentrations were found in genetic cases from extrafocal genetic CJD areas, iii) Mn/Cu ratios were increased in all CJD groups in comparison to controls. Metal ratios in clustering gCJD cases were significantly higher in comparison to sporadic cases and also to controls, but not to the extrafocal genetic CJD subgroup. These results indicate that more important than increasing Mn level in pathogenesis of CJD appears to be the role of the Mn/Cu imbalance in the CNS. The imbalance observed in the cluster of genetic CJD cases is probably a result of both: the excessive environmental Mn level and the disturbance of Mn/Cu ratios in the Orava region. Presented findings indicate an environmental Mn/Cu imbalance as a possible exogenous CJD risk co-factor which may, in coincidence with endogenous (genetic) CJD risk, contribute to the focal accumulation (cluster) of genetic CJD in Slovakia.

PMID:22026293

Kathy, it was probably an innocent mistake with
    your other post - seems to happen from time to
    time. The "mayor" link hasn't worked for a long time
    so use the email joe.dales@farms.com

Thanks for posting your information it was
    interesting.

Comment

Thanks grassfarmer. I know that I try to get a trace mineral salt from Vegreville which has higher levels of copper than the UFA brand here in Hanna. I notice the Vegreville salt stops ringworm. The Hanna brand is too high in manganese; but, we must get minerals to these cattle, especially selenium, copper and zinc. One researcher mentioned the high levels of manganese in these salts are probably due to the high levels of "dioxins" were are blessed with in Oil rich Alberta.

However, too much manganese can also lead to excitability (madness) in the cattle. I'm always looking for better blends, if you know of any give me a shout 403 854-2433. Thanks

Comment

Kathy, we use Greenbelt outside of
        Wainwright. Marc does up a custom mix for
        us. I am sure he could tailor a salt
        package for you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...