• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ergot

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ergot

I am getting concerns about ergot this year from grain companies. How serious a problem is it? What markets are available if you have it?

I have a little ergot in some of my wheat but it is not a problem. I have heard of some with 1-2% if this is a problem contact your seedplant. The seedplant in Vegreville has a new gravity table that can clean out a lot depending on samples. Some have gone from sample to #2 big difference in $..

Comment

There's been a lot of ergot throughout the province. The next question is what to do with the ergot once it's been cleaned out? A good seed cleaning plant can separate the screenings so the producer can take home the non-ergot screenings then decide to bury or burn the infested remains.

Comment

We have Ergot in AC Taber wheat--this was the only grain that was affected. I am wandering what I have to do to the affected land next year? We min till and I am planning to grow canola on this land. Do I need to disc or cultivate before I plant the canola? What happens the year after canola?

Comment

1. There was an article is this week's Agrinews on ergot. You'll find it at http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/ministry/agrinews/ then click on Nov 1. 2. The Canadian Grain Commission has info on ergot too at http://www.cgc.ca/Views/ergot/ergot99-e.htm 3. I'll copy your question into the 'Crop Production' room and perhaps someone there can help you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.