• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airdrie Landowners Task Force Stake holders Meeting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the ABP suffers because of the SRM removal issue. They seem to lack spine, brains or guts.
    But seriously it's a problem when "commodity groups" are linked to the Government by virtue of being on the payroll. As far as I'm concerned once you start getting substantial Government funding your have just lost your political voice. You become impotent.
    I raised that over on the commodity forum re the Alberta Barley Growers - a group with 130 members that receives well over $300,000 a year from Government. How can you be anything other than a mouthpiece for Government ideology when you are funded in this manner?

Comment

ASRG, I called someone tonight who is involved with the Warburg group. It looks like the Gov. side would not be drawn to Warburg, they also tried to get them to Lakedell with no success. So I don't think there is going to be a meeting in that area and it appears to be an avoidance issue.

Comment

The ABP is taking a stance that supposedly they believe in? When a government out and out expropriates private property without compensation or due process, like they did with Bill 24....most people would have a problem with that? One has to wonder how the ABP thinks so differently?
        When the government brought in the first land grab bill (bill 19), our group started the ball rolling at Innisfail. The ABP was busy cheerleading the government and clapping them on the back! Two years later Bill 19 was gutted....almost everything we pointed out as being wrong was changed. Four months before Bill 19 was changed Evan Berger and Ted Morton were trotting around the country saying it was the best thing since sliced bread!
        We fully realize this Task Force is probably nothing more than a pre-election scheme. We hope Premier Redford is sincere when she states she wants change? We have talked to her personally before the leadership vote and she certainly understands Bill 24 isn't going away and she knows if there aren't changes, there will be a legal challenge.....we made that very clear.
        The legal advice we are getting is there is a case to get Bill 24 overthrown...maybe....very costly and a risk! The lawyers exact words "a political solution would be better".
        Redford isn't some kind of dummie. She knows the Wildrose is knocking on the door and she knows landowners want some changes or they will walk?
        If we fill those buildings for the public meetings with angry landowners, she will get the message loud and clear!
        If no one shows up...or the ABP types stand there and fawn all over Berger and kiss his butt......nothing will change....well I shouldn't say that...... maybe the government will reinstate the check off for their pals!

Comment

The gov't meetings have been scheduled on some of the same dates as Keith Wilson's meetings. Which meeting does a person go to? The gov't meeting where we will not be heard anyways, or to Keith's meeting where numbers could speak volumes.

Comment

Same towns at the same time?

Comment

Sounds like the government has K.Wilson schedule all fiqured out.Maybe we should have him change his schedule and attend the public task force meetings. Would love to be see Berger challenge Wilson on the bills, I have heard he made Berger look like a complete fool at a meeting in Eckville.That way you kill 4 bills with one lawyer.

Comment

I should have said in my previous posts thanks to all the people, everyone, who are taking the time to go to these meetings and speak up for our property rights. I have made property rights a priority all my adult life but have not attended any of these meetings. I guess I am cynical after too many years of seeing property rights eroded in this province and believe nothing will come of it.

What is the schedule of meetings? I will go if one is close enough.

I do see where a strong ag group can influence govt policy. I remember when I was a kid my dad organized FUA meetings and some meetings were held in our home. Those are some of my earliest memories actually. The U.S. has some strong ag lobby groups like the American Farm Bureau. It is my impression that to lobby govt effectively first takes a long time and a lot of effort. It also takes a organization with enough membership that politicians will listen and the organization needs to be well funded as lobbying done effectively comes at a dollar cost.

I am not impressed by Bill 24 but it never surprised me. My thing personally is pipelines and the Pipeline Act. Like why does a private for profit company get to apply to appropriate my property to build a pipeline? The company gets a right of way that is industrial property and I get paid ag land price, more or less. If it were not for government we would be getting ten times as much for a P/L ROW as we do now. But hey thats just me.

I have attended a lot of property rights meetings in my time, Alberta Surface Rights Federation and a host of others. I can tell you the ABP delegates I know are every bit as committed to property rights as are the people working to improve property rights through other groups. But there is more than one way to skin a cat or should I say influence a government.

Comment

No sooner did I hit send than I saw the list of meetings at the top of the thread. I have marked a date on my calendar.

Comment

Notably absent from the Provost, NE AB
                    area.
                    I believe a lot of these bills work in
                    concert and in the long term they will
                    continue to try to find another way to
                    skin the proverbial cat if you will.
                    We are concerned as our entire (100%) of
                    our operation operates in areas
                    designated as being of national
                    significance.
                    I am concerned with oil development, and
                    water. The problem with water is that
                    it is free until there isn't any, and
                    then its' priceless.
                    We are a province hell bent on
                    development without developing.

Comment

No meetings in any of the task force ridings, Berger is deathly afraid to have one in the Macleod Livingstone riding in case it goes sideways like his and Ted Morton's defending the
                      Bills against Keith Wilson in Eckville. It was a long drive but it was worth it, side comment , never before have I ever heard a comment from a audience of over 500 when one rancher stood up and ask the crowd does anybody has a rope. Just not done in Alberta.

Comment

The initial report we put out, listing the schedule of public meetings did not include the actual places those meetings would take place at? You can find a more complete listing on our website: www.albertasurfacerights.com

farmers son: I know you have worked long and hard for property rights and I know a lot of individual ABP members do as well. I hear you on the pipeline thing.

Comment

Forage next time you drive a long ways for an Eckville type meeting give me a call and we can car pool. That meeting was a memorable one for sure no matter who's side you were on. Only going to be a few of those in a lifetime.

Comment

Eckville was certainly an experience! We had another in this area a few years ago with an oilfield waterflood project. After some meetings and back and forth with the authorities, letters in papers it came to a head at a meeting at Last West Hall. A large vocal crowd basically swept the floor with the company. The company did not appreciate the level of opposition until they saw it but once they did they backed down as they knew they were in a no-win stuation.
                            It's great to witness these moments where "the people" gain the upper hand but it's also disappointing to see complacency preventing people from uniting on other issues. I really believe in "people power" and think we can win again with it in AB against these land bills.
                            That's why I have no time for the "lets work with them" attitude of the likes of ABP. This is no time for appeasement - there is too much at stake.

Comment

Recent article with the three rep's from ABP they are going to handle the issues of the Bill 36 by the three"C".Consulation,compensation,and courts. Maybe they should read Bill 24 there was no Consulation (introduced to legislature nov 2,introduced closure and passed with royal consent dec 2)
                              Requlatory taking of property rights with NO Compensation.
                              No rights to the Court written into the act. So much for ABP's 3 "C"
                              Thanks for the offer to car pool , more of us need to fill our pickups with bodies at the price fuel and gas

Comment

I guess the message would be to make sure your neighbors know?
                                We're getting a lot of feedback from people up at Grand Prairie.....They're getting the word out and intend to fill the building with a large angry crowd.
                                We'll be running radio ads in central Alberta starting right after the new year. Issuing a press release at the same time and a bulk email message and phone out to our membership list.
                                This is no time to sit back and let the other guy do it!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.