• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Research Video: Improving Two Stage Weaning In Cattle.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research Video: Improving Two Stage Weaning In Cattle.

>

Been here and done that "exercise". Does anyone want to buy some "nose appliances" very reasonable. They are lying in a box under the shelf in the processing shed by the chute.

If you are going to use these things word of caution. Do not leave them in very long. (About 4-5 days max) or else ulcers start to form inside the nose on the mucous membrane areas.

Comment

Hey if you want some more Sadie I have a box
      full I will give you.

Comment

I'd be happy to have some more - i'll even pay the shipping on them. I have found them to be an outstanding tool when combined with fence-line weaning. We leave them in for 3 days usually, then fence-line wean and get zero stress, zero sickness as a result of the weaning process. I'd be cautious of using them in very cold weather as they do get an icicle build up on them that may be uncomfortable but for guys weaning in October or before I think they are excellent.
        I guess most guys still prefer to wean them into the auction where it becomes someone elses problem but I don't think as an industry we can afford the cost of that practice.

Comment

We wean in October using the metal fenceline approach. Put the calf hay along the one side. I run a top-dress of whole oats along the panels as well.

Put the cow hay along the other side along with a run of whole oats.

Works great. No noise, everyone is happy. DO this for 3-4 days and remove the "mom's"---job is done. No stress of putting calves through the chute twice for this event.

Like I said. Box full of these things sitting in working chute area. Museum candidates.

Comment

Now I'm not advocating this: but it works here?
            Like many "I wean at the auction barn"...at least the steers.
            I leave the heifers (and small steers) with the cows. The older smart cows boot them off about January. No corrals, no sick calves......only works if you are going to let them out on grass the next year.
            The lazy mans way of doing things.....works great!
            Might have to hook them out just before they calve........for a very small percentage!
            Exception: dosn't work sometimes with simmental or salers genetics......Angus cows boot them off no problem!
            Yea....I know not the accepted practice...but being lazy and cheap....it works for me!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.