• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fusarium

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom4cwb

I agree with Rain. There have been lots of other things in the market other than just the fusarium issue (eg. slack demand as feedlots don't bother to replace animals, lots of panicky barley producers who by passed good prices this winter only to watch prices headed down, feedlots who have booked US corn into the summer, expectations for larger barley acres, better moisture/a potentially later spring, a major drop in new crop CWB pool return outlooks for both malt and feed, etc. etc. etc. - lots indications that are not optismistic for barley).

It will have impact on western barley futures longer term. I won't get into the details of the new other than highlighting testing/certification will be at the seed level.

An example I think of in thinking of this is to compare it to AIDS. You have people who don't have any expression of the disease but are still carriers (not a topic for a Sunday afternoon but why you tell your teenage kids to use condoms). The testing of grain will be at this level. You have people who get very sick from the AIDS because of immune deficiency syndome - they become very sick because their bodies are not able to handle other diseases. The fusarium equivalent is fusarium head blight and high levels of vomotoxin (not healthy for humans or hogs at low levels/cattle at higher levels).

What impact on futures? Presence of the disease is not in the current contracts specifications. The implication is that grain could be delivered on the contract from outside Alberta which is acceptable to the contract but couldn't be brought into Alberta. My thoughts are that this will likely push futures prices lower (make sure delivery isn't an alternative). Basis is the wild card I don't have a handle on. Alberta basis will likely narrow/go to a premium to futures with Lethbridge plus premium for zero fusarium a reality.

Others thoughts.

Comment

Ianben

I don't know if you are tuned into this thread but I am interest in how farmers in the UK handle this disease?

Charlie

Comment

Charlie let me get this straight. You think barley futures will get pushed down because of the threat of delivery of contaminated grain, even though delivery can not be made becasue of contamination?

Comment

Rain

Yes - keeping in mind one is delivery on a futures contract (having someone staying short into a futures month and delivering against the contract) and the other is the ability to physically move this grain into Alta (cash market). Your thoughts.

This is only one of the factors (maybe a minor one) for the most recent drop in prices.

Comment

OK I assume you are looking at it that the short does not have to worry about anyone taking delivery because no one wants to take the contract because it is contaminated.
            But who would buy the contract for the short to get out of his postition?.

Comment

My assumption is there will be more incentive for the short to deliver with the long scrambling to get out of the contract.

The point to be made is there will be more uncertainty around this contract and this needs to be considered in both hedging programs and basis by all members of the industry.

Implications are I would tend to use futures to hedge the sell side (barley producer) and let the smoke clear a little more before I booked basis (particularly if I was in Alberta/felt comfortable that I could hit the quality parameters in SK./MB.). The program creates more uncertainty as a hedger on the buy side so am not so sure what I would do with either futures or basis. Alberta buyers will potentially have to include a new clause in their contract will commits the seller to providing the necessary documents indicating the grain is fusarium graminearium free.

Comment

How does the short get out if know one buys.

Comment

On any futures transaction, there was both a buyer and seller. My assumption (good, bad or indifferent) is there will be more tension on the buy side when time comes to lift the hedge. A feed lot operator will for sure want to lift the hedge or risk in getting delivered on in an out of position/getting grain delivered that won't meet Alberta specs (this tension exists in the current market). To lift their hedge, they will have to sell futures. You are right when there are more sellers than buyers, prices come down.

Comment

I am not sure at this point how many hedgers would get into this market as they become more aware of what the supposed reason for the futures tanking. So for the sake of arguement barley futures are dropping solely on the fusarium issue. I do not think neither you or I would Hedge (buy) these levels as a hedge today.

Some say the Winnipeg Wheat futures is a dog because fusarium is in the contract. If this is so risk is to the buyer. If fusarium can not be delivered into Alberta would the risk not be to the seller.

Comment

How much does it cost to do a test for fusarium?

Can any lab do it? Can grain companies do it on site?

Comment

Hi Charlie

Here in UK fusarium is becoming more of a problem too. Buyers looking for lower and lower levels.

We have two fungicides avaiable Folicur Tebuconizole and Amistar azoxystrobin.

For best control both need to be apllied and timing is critical.

Think our HGCA have done research on this.

Try web site www.hgca.com

Comment

Ianben - Hope all going well crop wise.

Rain - You are likely right that feed grain users can be patient in forward pricing their needs. Having said that, having at least some cash grain forward priced with a good basis/holding some corn calls as insurance is a good strategy for risk managers. The assumption is perfect weather for N. American feed grain production and this may not happen. Hard to see prices (at least for corn) pushed too much lower - could be a market that bleeds you to death by losing carry every time a contract goes off the board.

The futures contract specs. for barley futures are 1CW basis CGC tolerances - 1% fusarium head blight damaged kernels. The delivery spec. on feed wheat is 2%. Again, this is a visual grading factor.

The test for the presence of the disease on seed has to been done in a lab and takes about 10 days to 2 weeks to get results back. Elevator companies will not be able to do this at local facilities so it will have to be sent out to recognized labs. Cost of the test if something I haven't checked into but may be in the $50 to $70 per sample area.

Comment

Charlie I posted a question to you a week ago about delivering barley against the futures.

If some one is now short with the idea of delivering against the futures. (Assume 0 tolerance provincially) as we get close to delivery I indicate I wish to take delivery. Short can not deliver is he not at greater risk?

Comment

WCE futures market delivery (western barley anyway) is sellers notice and location. A farmer in SK. can deliver against futures in his home region. It is the buyers responsibility to pick it up there. A buyer could take delivery of grain they don't want/couldn't bring into Alberta. They would be forced to sell it in the local cash market (quite likely at a discount to Alberta).

Comment

So we run the risk short wants to deliver and no one will buy western barley futures because they do not want contaminated grain. Trade in barley futures could go the way of the flax, or wheat contracts in Canada.

This could be a real ouch to the futures contract.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.