• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2002-03, CWB, How much did you sell?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002-03, CWB, How much did you sell?

thalpenny,

I got this commercially sensitive info off the US Wheat site:

"According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's weekly Export Sales Report, total commitments of wheat and products from June 1, 2001 through April 4, 2002 are 23.537 million metric tons (MMT), 7% less than last year's year-to-date total. Net sales for the week ending April 4, 2002 are 184,200 metric tons (MT), less than trade estimates of 400,000 to 500,000 MT.
    The major buyers include Taiwan (26,000 MT HRW and 53,700 MT HRS), Egypt (25,500 MT HRW and 700 MT SRW), Columbia (19,500 MT HRW and 3,200 MT SRW), and Mexico (20,000 MT SRW).

Net sales of 175,600 MT for the 2002/03 marketing year were also reported this week.

USDA pegs 2001/02 wheat and products exports at 26.54 MMT. Commitments to date are 88% of total projected exports. This pace is 11% below the 5-year average pace of 99% of total projected exports committed by this date."

When will we wheat farmers be allowed to know what you are doing with our wheat sales?

Exactly how much wheat has the CWB sold outright and settled in the 2001-02 crop year, and how much is sold for the 2002-03 crop year?

Charlie,

The USDA knows this information is critical to knowledge of future markets, and where the market is headed.

This information is useful, and Canadians are left blind going into seeding by the CWB not releasing their market plan for 2002-03 and how much has been sold of next years crop.

When are we going to be allowed to see reality in our markets, so we can make good decisions?

Isn't this part of risk management, and shouldn't I be entitled to know the truth about what is happening with my wheat?

Comment

I will let Tom H. respond.

A comment I will make though is that your next door neighbor is likely your best customer. You can understand their needs by simply looking across the fence at them. You can also negotiate issues like price directly and each choose to use the risk management tools that fit your individual businesses.

Some of you likely think AAFRD goal of $10 bln primary and $20 bln processing by 2010 is too pie in the sky. Not a guarantee of perfection but at least gives us a lot more control over our fates.

Comment

Charlie,

I agree with the 10/20billion goal, it is just smart business to develop a goal and vision, otherwise unplanned outcomes are more likely that hurt Alberta's agriculture!

It seems to me that good things rarely happen by accident, they happen because plans prepare and create opportunity, which allows the progress to occur.

I agree that the US is our best market, we must prepare and accomodate their needs while allowing Alberta to develop a strong Ag industry.

Comment

I was thinking more of domestic value adding industries - feedlots, hog barns, malt plants, ethanol/bio fuels, compressed hay, pasta plants, flour mills, prepared food markets, etc. Lots of other interesting things down the road like nutricuticals, life science products, etc. None of these things individually will help the farm community substantially but a whole bunch of choices will create opportunities. The idea (as indicated in other threads) is to change from being commodity to more product based.

Hopefully some of these industries can be attracted out to the ag. community to increase rural development and employment.

The US is the most important market but it would be nice to maintain the diverse group of customers.

Comment

Tom4CWB,
            The best source of this inof is likely the CGC monthly export numbers. I think by subscribing to their report, it will tell you the clearances by port and the destinations for the major grains.

The USDA info is all historical stuff - they don't reveal the forward sales position.

I don't currently receive this report, or I'd pass on the info for you. Maybe Charlie does.

Tom

Comment

thalpenny,

The USDA report states:
              "Net sales of 175,600 MT for the 2002/03 marketing year were also reported this week."

I don't see how this is historical info that the CGC can help me with, or does the CWB share forward selling info with the CGC?

Comment

April 26th Commercial wheat sales:

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's weekly Export Sales Report, total commitments of wheat and products from June 1, 2001 through April 18, 2002 are 24.047 million metric tons (MMT), 8% less than last year's year-to-date total. Net sales for the week ending April 18, 2002 are 243,100 metric tons (MT) for the 2001/02 marketing year and 60,000 MT for the 2002/03 marketing year, within trade estimates of 200,000 to 400,000 MT (combined old and new crop).

The major buyers for delivery in 2001/02 include Philippines (4,400 MT HRW, 34,200 MT HRS, and 35,300 MT white), Peru (51,300 MT HRW and 1,500 MT SRW), Nigeria (33,700 MT HRW and 5,000 MT HRS), Mexico (22,800 MT HRW, 5,100 MT SRW and 500 MT HRS), and South Africa (13,200 MT HRW and 10,500 MT HRS).

USDA pegs 2001/02 wheat and products exports at 26.540 MMT. Commitments to date are 91% of total projected exports.

thalpenny,

When can we expect to see the CWB's weekly sales progress reported to us in a format the can give us this type of sales info?

Comment

May 3rd US Commercial wheat sales:

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's weekly Export Sales Report, total commitments of wheat and products from June 1, 2001 through April 25, 2002 are 24.350 million metric tons (MMT), 8% less than last year's year-to-date total. Net sales for the week ending April 25, 2002 are 257,900 metric tons (MT) for the 2001/02 marketing year and 40,300 MT for the 2002/03 marketing year, at the low end of trade estimates of 250,000 to 400,000 MT (combined old and new crop).

The major buyers for delivery in 2001/02 include Egypt (57,100 MT SRW and 60,000 MT white), EU (28,300 MT HRS and 20,500 MT Durum), Israel (37,600 MT HRW), Peru (20,700 MT HRW and 7,400 MT SRW), and Indonesia (3,000 MT HRS and 22,000 MT white).

USDA pegs 2001/02 wheat and products exports at 26.540 MMT. Commitments to date are 92% of total projected exports.

thalpenny,

When can we expect simular CWB weekly reports on our sales in Canada?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...