• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bred cows

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bred cows

Did anyone go to the bred cow and heifer sale at sls on friday?How did they sell?I wanted to go,but the boys got me on a short leash from buying anymore cows.

Bred Cow Sale Report as of November 25, 2011 Saskatoon Livestock Sales.
    Bred Cows 800 to 1275
    Bred Heifers 800 to 1475
    Cow/Calf Pairs 700 to 1300

Comment

A pair for $700 is a HECK of a deal unless
      the calf is on death's doorstep. Even
      $1300 isn't bad. Not sure why you
      wouldn't split them up to sell???

Comment

Now thats what I want to pay for bred cows!

Comment

Allfarmer---You desire is Black cows correct? I know of a complete herd dispersal that is booked for Swift Current coming up in December. I know that is a long ways from you. I know the producer well. When the sort to the good to go is completed there will be about 75 head (heart of the herd). Give me an email and I will send you more info. He is booked and is not selling off the farm.

Comment

So you can buy a pair for $700, but have to pay min $800 for a single.....gotta give us farmers credit ;-)
            Allfarmer, I would like to buy your land for 1/2 price as well.....would you sell?

Comment

I have no idea what the pair for $700 looked like or what they were,i never went to the sale just going by what she told me over the phone.If i was to guess though the cow was either a old crock with a new born calf or a longhorn.

Comment

Guaranteed she wasn't pretty!

Comment

For me to go from buying cows $850 $900 price
                  range to $1200 that's a 33% increase. If people
                  want to get crazy and pay $1700/bred cow go
                  ahead. The M.C. Quantock flyer on the third
                  page says "you do the math" ....pay $1700 for my
                  cows.

Does anyone on here figure calf prices can be
                  lower next year or their's just no way!

Canola guys had $12 canola for a while, inputs
                  followed up and now canola is $10 no money to
                  be made at 10 anymore.

With the cattle I buy I will be paying for over 3 to
                  5 years I don't want to be stuck paying for a herd
                  I bought at the top of the cattle market.

Ms Sadie I am considering some cows at
                  Provost but my uncle still wants 1400 for his bred
                  black heifers. With diesel at 1.25/liter trucking SK
                  cows to far our for me. But thanks and good to
                  hear from you again. I was about to send out a
                  search party.

Comment

Your question about lower calf prices next year could be very true. The world economy is kind of in a mess right now and people who don't have a job aren't down at the grocery store buying t-bones!
                    I think you are using your head by not over paying for cows. There are a lot of people who intend to sell their cows, but might have to wait until the new year because they don't want to give the check to the government!

Comment

Allfarmer---I am glad you missed me on agriville. I have to admit this "beef" or "commodities" site has been better than any marketing club of 20-30 years ago. "Beef" site has many great threads with perspectives that has taken my thoughts to new levels. To me it has been "leading edge also" so that when you pick up a paper or see it nationally often it was on agriville first.

Look what we have covered in the past few months:

The political views of Alberta Manitoba, Ontario provincially and then the federal perspective.

Direct meat marketing ---RKaiser,Grassfarmer, gaucho and more.

Property rights ASRB

Kato's Manitoba views, and cooking stories.

Smgrath----knowledgeable perspective to help soften any argument

Allfarmer-
                      -I've been watching. I prefer to pick my spots of my comfort zone. To think I even had a good lesson in --what was it "photoshop" last spring.

We'll help you find your cows. There will be deals but to find them you have to be there to see it for yourself IMHO

Comment

I'm back. Error ---"Photobucket" not photoshop. Better do another thread using that soon to remember how.

Talking about searching: Per, Happytrialls, Kathy, Burnt and others that I didn't mention you must be at meetings or extending your fall work.

Comment

I would really doubt that calf prices would go down,if they do go down then you will really see the cows head for slaughter.To many guys have lost so much money the last 7 years,that 1 good year won't change there mind to stay in cows.I for one don't understand why everyone thinks that this years calf price is so great,compare it to how everything else we buy has gone up in price.We aren't even close to keeping up with inflation.

Comment

If a person could see some stability in any market, whether beef or grain or whatever, you could plan for it? Normally beef cows would look like a fairly good bet right now? Supply and demand should be in effect. Less cows should mean higher prices.
                            However, FS posted something a while back on the coming new free trade agreement with Columbia? If prices get too high here (or remain at the present price) will that beef enter our market? If I recall correctly, Columbia has 23 million cows and a very low cost structure. I realize the beef quality might not be that great but it could displace a lot of hamburger and manufacturing beef.
                            Everyone has different circumstances and desires on how they want to live? Without a doubt there are a lot of older producers eager to exit the industry. Are there enough younger people willing to enter the industry?

Comment

There should be a clause in all FTA's that prevents entry of products produced at a lower standard than what is produced in Canada. If not, then maybe we should push for a COOL Canada.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.