• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bred cow prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW just caught the last of the Rafter G sale sold 1500 head in 25 minutes.

The fiew prices I heard were in the $1380 range.

Comment

What kato said.

A lot of us cow guys aren't 29 years old any more. I find that there is a direct link between age and risk aversion.

If my sons wanted to start up I think this would be the time.

But the paycheck from the trades they work in makes risk look less attractive as well.

Comment

Did willnot just admit that farmers and landlords have a right to THEIR own grain? That would be a right to property wouldn't it? I can own my grain, but I can't sell it to who I want? WTF?

Comment

If a landlord cash rents they have choosen not to have a say in cropping and marketing decisions of the grain.

Comment

<i>"Landlords have just as much right to decide
            where THEIR grain is marketed as anyone else."
            </i>.
            So landlords should have a right to decide where
            their grain is marketed, but the farmers
            shouldn't..........Now I understand the pro-single
            desk position perfectly.

Comment

We do not allow landlords to make ANY decisions whether or not it is a cash/crop/or modified rental agreement. Nothing I hate worse than someone else thinking they know whats good for my biz. Eerily similar to my feeling on the CWB.

Comment

Even the cash renting Landlord? Or just the crop share landlord?

Comment

The standard chant in the debate is that farmers should decide. A landlord is not a farmer yet is continully grouped as a farmer when they tally the votes. At the same time those farmers outside the board do not get a vote. Does one have more of a vested interest in the outcome than the other. You could claim American's who do business in Canada have a vested interest in the outcome of a federal election but we don't allow them to vote in our election.

Comment

I am not considered a farmers by the
                    CWB since i have not had a permit
                    book since 2007.

Comment

1500 head in 25 minutes? How big were the lots?

Comment

Ya they got to lot 9 and they were done. So 9
                        divided by 1500 is 166. DLMS was
                        thanking/apologizing local buyers for comming
                        out and thanked them for bidding.

I did this at a small farm/acreage sale this
                        summer, they had 10 lots of new fence posts
                        high bidder on first bundle could take 1 bundle or
                        as many as they wanted, I took all 10 cost me
                        $3000 but I saved $500 from the local Ufa price
                        17% discount

Comment

Only the ones that are forced to sign a contract should be the ones allowed to vote. It may result in a few real farmers not being able to vote but would make it so an awfull lot of non farmers do not get to vote.

Comment

Reading over your post about fear of debt kato reminded me of my long past grandmother. Annie in 1985 had $50,000 in the bank and her pension paid her lodge expenses and gave her a little money left over. She worried for days if she had should spend a little and get her hair done? Thankfully mom assured her she should go for it!

Comment

I'm not so surprised that bred heifers seem to be over supplied, the country seems to be full of them. Problem is two fold - one: many of the bigger scale cow/calf guys that are serious about staying in the business longterm rear their own replacement heifers.

and two: many of the heifers for sale are not the result of any type of breeding program - they are just heifers with 4 legs and a tail. A lot of the guys selling them are looking for an easy way to run cattle - buy female calves/yearlings and run them with a bull hoping to double their money, don't have the hassle of calving cows that way.
                              It's a changing dynamic just now for sure and I would think there will be way less heifers retained for replacements this winter by opportunists looking to sell them as breds.

Comment

As a new entity, the cwb will be able to deal in any crop. So maybe the vote should have included all farmers, not just those with a cwb number.

Maybe that is why the government used their mandate instead of the cwb select voters list.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.