• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creep Feeder

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creep Feeder

Feed the cows a couple of pounds of range cubes instead of worrying about the calves. Two things will happen... The cows will milk better, so the calves will grow better, and the cows will cycle better... so they will conceive quicker and more uniformily. I agree with you re. large calves... Sure is nice to see them doing good.
    When the cows are still in the corral or a small field, I have a bunch of car tires with one sidewall cut off and the other side screwed down to two 2X12's. I put the cubes into the tires and then open the gate and they all come in at once and all get a fair share. Once they are out in a big field.. I either put them in the bucket of the tractor and back across the field dumping piles as I go, or I have a small hopperwagon that I pull with the ATV, and I just open the bottom and drive in a big circle, leaving a stream of cubes behind me.

How do range cubes compare with rolled barley, both feed wise and cost wise? Can you get a range cube that has rumensin in it? Do they waste much?

Comment

Sun is shining, Snow is melting, It is like a spring day!! At last!!! Cubes are usually made of Barley,and screenings. Several protein levels are available. salt, minerals and rumensin can be added. Price will vary as to the ration and the additives. Bulk delivered cubes and bulk bags are available at both the Olds mill and New life feeds in Calgary. Waste is nill in the tires. Some out in the field, depending if there are many fines, as they tend to get lost in the grass and get tramped in. As long as the ground is dry and the cubes are good ones, then the loss, even when spread on the ground, is almost nil.When dribbling them out in a row, swing around in a large circle back towards the herd so the slowest cows get a chance to share in the "candy", and it prevents a lot of feed trampling.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...